Zvonareva pulls out of French OpenMay 24th, 2009 - 3:18 pm ICT by IANS
Paris, May 24 (Xinhua) Sixth-seeded Vera Zvonareva of Russia has pulled out of the French Open due to an ankle injury.
The Russian was forced to withdraw from the season’s second Grand Slam after failing to recover from the injury sustained last month, organisers announced Saturday.
Zvonareva, 24, will be replaced by British “lucky loser” Katie O’Brien who faces Olga Gorvotsova of Belarus in the opening round of the Grand Slam starting Sunday.
She has not played since picking up the injury at the Family Circle Cup in Charleston and was unable to represent Russia in the Fed Cup semifinal series against Italy last month because of the same injury.
- Serbia-Czech Republic in Fed Cup final - Apr 23, 2012
- US Open: Paes-Stepanek face Bryan brothers in final - Sep 07, 2012
- Sania-Bhupathi crash out of Australian Open - Jan 27, 2012
- Wimbledon: Sania-Elena seeded fourth, Paes-Bhupathi third - Jun 15, 2011
- Sharapova reaches final of Miami tennis tournament - Apr 01, 2011
- Australian Open: Sania-Vesnina lose, Paes-Stepanek reach semis (Lead) - Jan 25, 2012
- China Open: Wozniacki, Zvonareva move ahead; Stosur eliminated - Oct 04, 2011
- Australian Open: Paes-Stepanek, Sania-Bhupathi in semis (Roundup) - Jan 25, 2012
- US Open: Wozniacki-Serena semifinal, Zvonareva falls - Sep 09, 2011
- Top seed Wozniacki 'blows away' Cibulkova to storm into US Open semi-finals - Sep 09, 2010
- Unseeded Kanepi knocks Wozniacki out of Pan Pacific Open - Sep 28, 2011
- Doubles best bet for India in French Open - May 22, 2011
- Zvonareva to meet Radwanska in Pan Pacific final - Sep 30, 2011
- US Open: Federer, Murray drawn to meet in semis - Aug 24, 2012
- We hold the edge in the final: Sania (Lead) - Jun 02, 2011
Tags: ankle injury, belarus, cup semifinal, family circle cup, fed cup, french open, french open paris, grand slam, italy, katie o brien, lucky loser, may 24, olga, organisers, russia, vera zvonareva, xinhua