Zimbabwe’s ruling party, opposition preparing to sign power-sharing agreementJuly 20th, 2008 - 8:06 pm ICT by IANS
Johannesburg, July 20 (DPA) An agreement between Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe’s Zanu-PF party and the opposition Movement for Democratic Change (MDC) on the agenda for talks on a powersharing government appeared to be near at hand Sunday. Such an agreement, which an MDC source said was likely to be signed in the coming week, would be a coup for the Zimbabwe mediator South African President Thabo Mbeki, whose attempts to get MDC leader Morgan Tsvangirai to the negotiating table have failed so far.
South Africa’s Sunday Times reported the memorandum of understanding on talks would be signed Monday in Harare but did not give its source.
On Friday, Mbeki dismantled one of the key obstacles Tsvangirai had given for the talks on powersharing to begin, by expanding his mediation attempts to include representatives from the United Nations and the African Union.
Mbeki’s new “reference group” comprises African Union Commission chief Jean Ping, UN envoy Haile Menkerios and George Chikoti, deputy foreign minister of Angola, on behalf of the Southern African Development Community.
Tsvangirai, who accuses Mbeki of being biased in favour of Mugabe, had been demanding an extra level of oversight in any talks between the MDC and Mugabe, who has reneged on previous agreements with the opposition party.
The MDC has welcomed the UN and AU involvement in the mediation process, with spokesman Nelson Chamisa saying “it eliminated our discomfort zone.”
- Mugabe breaks power-sharing deal, handing key ministries to his ZANU-PF party - Oct 11, 2008
- Zimbabwe police fire tear gas to disperse prayer meeting - Apr 10, 2011
- Mugabe fighting for life in Singapore hospital? - Apr 10, 2012
- North Korea's Zimbabwe warm-up match called off after protests - Jun 01, 2010
- Zimbabwe becoming a police state: Tsvangirai - Mar 19, 2011
- Mugabe allocates main cabinet portfolios to Zanu-PF party - Oct 12, 2008
- UN chief hails Zimbabwe's powersharing deal (Lead) - Sep 12, 2008
- Mugabe signs pact with minority MDC faction: Report - Aug 13, 2008
- Zimbabwean opposition leader elected parliament speaker (Lead) - Aug 25, 2008
- Mbeki in Zimbabwe for talks to rescue power-sharing deal - Oct 14, 2008
- Over a quarter of voters on Zimbabwe's electoral rolls 'are dead' - Jan 22, 2011
- US warns of more sanctions against Zimbabwe - Oct 21, 2008
- Zimbabwe's rival parties reach powersharing deal: Mbeki - Sep 12, 2008
- Mugabe strengthening power base from Chiadzwa diamond auctions - Jan 30, 2011
- SADC backs Mugabe over powersharing; to assist Congo Army - Nov 10, 2008
Tags: democratic change, haile, harare, mdc, mediation process, memorandum of understanding, morgan tsvangirai, opposition movement, opposition party, party opposition, president robert mugabe, president thabo mbeki, reference group, robert mugabe, ruling party, south african president, south african president thabo mbeki, thabo mbeki, zanu pf, zimbabwean president robert mugabe