Zimbabwe lacks funds to organize elections: Finance MinisterApril 27th, 2011 - 7:12 pm ICT by ANI
Harare, Apr 27(ANI): Zimbabwe Finance Minister Tendai Biti has said the country does not have the funds to organize elections that President Robert Mugabe plans to hold this year.
“The economy cannot sustain an election,” News24.com quoted Biti, as saying.
“The Zimbabwe Electoral Commission has submitted a budget for 400 million dollars. Where do I get that kind of money when I am looking for 150 million dollars to fund the budget deficit if revenues remain as they are?” he added.
Although no dates have been set for the polls, Mugabe and his ZANU-PF party have said elections should be held this year, while Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai and his MDC party want reforms to ensure a level playing field before the polls. (ANI)
- Zimbabwe's central bank to lay off 85 percent of staff - Aug 29, 2010
- Mugabe strengthening power base from Chiadzwa diamond auctions - Jan 30, 2011
- Over a quarter of voters on Zimbabwe's electoral rolls 'are dead' - Jan 22, 2011
- Zimbabwe becoming a police state: Tsvangirai - Mar 19, 2011
- Zimbabwe police fire tear gas to disperse prayer meeting - Apr 10, 2011
- Zimbabwe President Mugabe threatens to "crush" opposition ahead of early polls - Dec 20, 2010
- Mugabe supporters "beyond the reach of the law": Amnesty - Feb 12, 2011
- IMF restores Zimbabwe's voting rights after seven years - Feb 20, 2010
- Mugabe fighting for life in Singapore hospital? - Apr 10, 2012
- Zimbabwe may impose treason charges against PM Tsvangirai over Wikileaks revelation - Dec 28, 2010
- Zimbabwean unity government sealed amid climate of distrust - Feb 14, 2009
- UN offered lucrative retirement package to Mugabe: Wikileaks - Dec 19, 2010
- North Korea's Zimbabwe warm-up match called off after protests - Jun 01, 2010
- Zimbabwe resumes sale of controversial Chiadzwa diamonds - Aug 11, 2010
- Zimbabwe's MDC signs up to join Mugabe-led government - Jan 31, 2009
Tags: biti, budget deficit, economy, elections, million dollars, money, morgan tsvangirai, polls, president robert mugabe, prime minister, robert mugabe, tendai, zanu pf, zimbabwe, zimbabwe electoral commission