Zimbabwe declares national emergency over cholera outbreakDecember 4th, 2008 - 2:40 pm ICT by IANS
Harare, Dec 4 (Xinhua) Zimbabwe has declared a national emergency following a countrywide outbreak of cholera epidemic and asked donor countries for assistance, the state-run Herald newspaper reported Thursday. Health minister David Parirenyatwa said Wednesday hospitals were in urgent need of drugs, food and equipment to tackle the situation.
“Our central hospitals are literally not functioning. Our staff is demotivated and we need your (donors) support to ensure that they start coming to work and our health system is revived,” Parirenyatwa said.
The Herald quoted the minister as saying that among the items urgently required by hospitals are medicines, laboratory reagents, dialysis and laundry equipment, X-ray films and boilers.
He said 563 people have died of cholera across the country.
“I am appealing for at least 40 million rand ($3.90 million) to purchase chemicals for the next two months and the money is needed between now and next Monday,” the Herald quoted water and infrastructure development minister Walter Mzembi as saying.
According to the state media, donors who included United Nation agencies, foreign governments and non-governmental organizations pledged to help the government address the situation.
- New dialysis centre for health scheme beneficiaries - Aug 25, 2010
- BHEL looks at South African market for CFBC boilers - Jan 31, 2012
- Kalam unveils mobile dialysis facility in Bangalore - Jul 30, 2010
- Aid for Haiti a priority as 600,000 still live in camps following quake - Oct 06, 2011
- New dialysis centre for central government employees - Aug 24, 2010
- 20 million need mental health care: Expert - Oct 11, 2011
- BHEL starts supplying super critical boilers - Apr 04, 2012
- Chronic kidney disease rising in India: Doctors - Mar 07, 2012
- Bengal to get an AIIMS - Aug 20, 2011
- India faces acute shortage of dialysis units - Mar 04, 2011
- Ghana cholera toll rises to 21 - Apr 19, 2012
- Cholera outbreak in Cuba after 130 years - Jul 15, 2012
- Cholera epidemic kills 11 in Ghana - Apr 05, 2012
- Super specialty hospital coming up in Assam - Jun 11, 2012
- BHEL mulls shipping boilers - Jul 21, 2011
Tags: central hospitals, cholera epidemic, cholera outbreak, development minister, donor countries, infrastructure development, laboratory reagents, laundry equipment, minister david, outbreak of cholera