Zardari likely to offer intelligence-sharing to IndiaJune 16th, 2009 - 2:14 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, June 16 (IANS) Pakistan’s President Asif Ali Zardari is likely to suggest an intelligence-sharing mechanism between Islamabad and New Delhi when he meets Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on the sidelines of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) summit in Russia Tuesday, the Daily Times reported.
The two leaders are expected to hold a half-hour meeting in the Silver Room of Hotel Hyatt Regency in the Russian city of Yekaterinburg, an industrial town located nearly 1,400 km from Moscow.
The expected proposal by Zardari is aimed at easing the relationship between the two nuclear-powered neighbours soured in the wake of the 26/11 Mumbai attacks, which claimed more than 170 people, including a dozen of foreigners, the report said without giving details about Zardari’s proposal.
Meanwhile, official sources said the meeting would be merely an opportunity to convey the Indian government’s concerns to Pakistan at the highest level.
They said the meeting was organised after the Pakistan high commissioner in India expressed Zardari’s wish to meet the Indian prime minister, the report said.
The 30-minute scheduled meeting has taken many by surprise in view of repeated statements from the Indian government that there will not be any dialogue with Pakistan till what they call credible action by Islamabad to punish and prosecute the perpetrators of last year’s Mumbai carnage.
Indian officials, however, said the prime minister would call upon the Pakistani leadership to take credible action against terrorism and the meeting should not be elevated to a formal dialogue with Islamabad.
- Manmohan holds talks with Zardari, says terror top concern (Lead) - Jun 16, 2009
- PM to Zardari: Do not allow use of Pak territory for terror against India - Jun 16, 2009
- Post 26/11, a chronicle of India-Pakistan meetings - Apr 08, 2012
- Manmohan, Zardari face to face in Russia - Jun 16, 2009
- Manmohan to Zardari: Don't allow your territory for anti-India acts (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2009
- Take credible action against terror, Manmohan to tell Zardari (Lead) - Jun 16, 2009
- Amid improving ties, Zardari to meet Manmohan, visit Ajmer (Lead) - Apr 02, 2012
- Zardari likely to come on 'personal' visit to India (Lead) - Apr 01, 2012
- Zardari may propose intelligence sharing mechanism to Manmomah Singh - Jun 16, 2009
- Pakistan again offers help in 26/11 probe, seeks reciprocity - Jun 23, 2009
- Pakistani, Indian foreign secretaries to meet on G8 sidelines? - Jun 23, 2009
- Zardari-Manmohan meeting positive, says Pakistan - Jun 17, 2009
- Manmohan's blunt message to Zardari was choreographed - Jun 17, 2009
- It's official: Manmohan to meet Zardari in Russia - Jun 12, 2009
- Manmohan Singh to meet Zardari in Russia today - Jun 16, 2009
Tags: asif ali zardari, carnage, foreigners, formal dialogue, hotel hyatt regency, indian government, indian officials, indian prime minister, indian prime minister manmohan singh, islamabad, manmohan, manmohan singh, pakistan high commissioner, perpetrators, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, russian city, shanghai cooperation organisation, sidelines, silver room