Zardari for Pak-Af-Iran front to ensure regional stability (Lead)May 24th, 2009 - 7:23 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, May 24 (IANS) Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari Sunday called for joint efforts by Pakistan, Afghanistan and Iran to ensure regional stability and to combat terrorism and militancy
“We have to get together to tackle these challenges. It is not just the matter of our survival, but for the betterment and safety of our future generations,” APP quoted Zardari as saying while addressing the first trilateral summit of the three countries here.
Zardari said the three countries were not only neighbours but share a common culture, history and traditions.
“We can tackle every challenge and achieve progress by getting together,” the president maintained.
He also proposed a trilateral mechanism and a dialogue on development to realize the full potential of trade and economic cooperation among the three countries.
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmedinejad and Afghan President Hamid Karzai also addressed the summit, which deliberated on ways and means to effectively tackle the security challenges facing the region.
Iran and Afghanistan also accepted Zardari’s invitation to hold the next trilateral summit in Islamabad, the dates for which will be finalised through mutual consultation.
- Pakistan, Iran, Afghanistan pledge to eliminate terrorism - May 25, 2009
- Will battle terror together: Zardari - Feb 17, 2012
- Pakistan won't help US attack Iran: Zardari - Feb 17, 2012
- Islamabad hosts trilateral summit - Feb 16, 2012
- Islamabad hosts trilateral summit (Lead) - Feb 16, 2012
- Pakistan denies military double game with Taliban - Feb 18, 2012
- Pakistan to work with neighbours for peace: Zardari - Nov 02, 2011
- Pakistan for currency swap deal with Iran - Jul 17, 2011
- Zardari to attend trilateral summit in Tehran Sunday - May 22, 2009
- Putin to hold talks with Ahmadinejad - Jun 03, 2012
- Krishna, in 'holding room', with Zardari at Beijing - Jun 06, 2012
- Australia to give $200 mn aid to Pakistan - May 21, 2012
- India, Russia, Iran explore anti-Taliban strategy - Aug 03, 2010
- Obama, Karzai speak on strategic issues - Feb 21, 2012
- Iranian president calls up Manmohan Singh - May 18, 2012
Tags: afghan president hamid, afghan president hamid karzai, asif ali zardari, betterment, culture history, dialogue, economic cooperation, future generations, hamid karzai, invitation, iran, iranian president mahmoud, mahmoud ahmedinejad, may 24, mutual consultation, neighbours, president hamid karzai, regional stability, tehran, ways and means