Zardari arrives in Iran for regional summitMarch 10th, 2009 - 10:21 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, March 10 (DPA) Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari arrived in Tehran Tuesday to attend the 10th Summit of the Economic Cooperation Organization (ECO) and discuss plans for a gas pipeline linking the two countries with India.
Zardari and his Iranian and Afghan counterparts Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and Hamid Karzai are scheduled to have a trilateral meeting prior to the summit Wednesday on security in Afghanistan and Pakistan.
Pakistan’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Abdul Basit said earlier Tuesday that Zardari will discuss trade and a proposed natural gas pipeline between Pakistan and Iran. The pipeline would cost some $7.6 billion and run from Iran through Pakistan and India.
The plan has been stalled by traffic concerns and India’s reluctance to sign up, allegedly in the face of US pressure.
“Both sides will have in-depth exchange of views on the entire spectrum of bilateral relations with a focus on greater cooperation in communication and energy sectors,” Basit said.
Pakistan is keen to secure greater access to the Iranian market for its products.
Zardari was also scheduled to attend the concluding session of the Economic Cooperation Organisation summit in Tehran.
Zardari left Pakistan as opposition parties and lawyers’ groups prepared for countrywide protests against his government this week.
- Will battle terror together: Zardari - Feb 17, 2012
- Islamabad hosts trilateral summit (Lead) - Feb 16, 2012
- PM heads for Tehran NAM summit, meeting with Ahmadinejad - Aug 25, 2012
- PM heads to Tehran for NAM summit, Iran ties in focus (Lead) - Aug 25, 2012
- Islamabad hosts trilateral summit - Feb 16, 2012
- Pakistan won't help US attack Iran: Zardari - Feb 17, 2012
- 'Pakistan-Iran gas pipeline not under sanctions' - Jan 26, 2012
- Ahmadinejad to attend Shanghai summit - Jun 03, 2012
- Manmohan Singh leaves for Tehran (Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- Iran to export natural gas to India, Oman - Sep 25, 2011
- Zardari, Ahmadinejad reach China for Shanghai summit - Jun 05, 2012
- Manmohan Singh to visit Iran - Sep 24, 2011
- Krishna, in 'holding room', with Zardari at Beijing - Jun 06, 2012
- India to press Iran to cooperate in Israel diplomat attack - Aug 25, 2012
- Zardari to attend trilateral summit in Tehran Sunday - May 22, 2009
Tags: abdul basit, asif ali zardari, bilateral relations, counterparts, dpa, eco, economic cooperation organization, energy sectors, foreign ministry spokesman, hamid karzai, iranian market, mahmoud ahmadinejad, natural gas pipeline, opposition parties, pakistan, protests, regional summit, reluctance, tehran, traffic concerns