Zaheer’s twin strike leaves New Zealand 64 for two (Lunch report)April 4th, 2009 - 8:41 am ICT by IANS
Wellington, April 4 (IANS) Zaheer Khan grabbed two quick wickets to leave New Zealand struggling at 64 for two at lunch in reply to India’s first-innings score of 379 on the second day of the third cricket Test here at the Basin Reserve Saturday.
Zaheer dismissed Martin Guptill, playing on for 17, and then had Daniel Flynn caught by wicketkeeper Mahendra Singh Dhoni for two to reduce the hosts to 31 for two.
Opener Tim McIntosh (24) and Ross Taylor on (17) saw through the remainder of the morning session.
Earlier, India’s last pair Ishant Sharma and Munaf Patel consumed another 13 deliveries and four more runs to their overnight 375.
The two added 32 crucial runs for the 10th-wicket before Sharma (18) was caught by Brendon McCullum off Chris Martin in the third over of the morning, giving the wicketkeeper his fourth catch of the innings and leaving Munaf 15 not out.
Martin was the most successful bowler with figures of four for 98 from 25.1 overs.
Zaheer struck in his fourth and the seventh over of the innings as Guptill’s defensive backfoot stroke to a sharp short-pitched delivery saw the ball crashing into the stumps.
Zaheer was on target again in his sixth over, enticing Flynn to edge to Mahendra Singh Dhoni behind the stumps.
McIntosh got over a difficult period to bat through till lunch while Taylor, fresh from a strokeful 151 in the Napier Test, looked solid at the other end.
India lead the three-Test series 1-0 after winning the first match at Hamilton by 10 wickets and are looking to win their first series here in 41 years.
- McIntosh, Guptill steer New Zealand to 258/4 on day one - Nov 12, 2010
- New Zealand survive testing spell from Sreeanth (Lunch report) - Nov 12, 2010
- Zaheer, Harbhajan rip through New Zealand top-order (Tea Report) - Apr 04, 2009
- Hyderabad Test: McIntosh's ton helps Kiwis reach 258-4 on Day One - Nov 12, 2010
- India opt to bat against New Zealand - Aug 23, 2012
- Zaheer gives India clear edge in third Test (Roundup) - Apr 04, 2009
- Narine revives Windies with late wickets - Jul 26, 2012
- India bowlers strike, New Zealand 98 for 3 (Lunch report) - Mar 26, 2009
- Ojha strikes twice as Kiwis struggle (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Lunch scoreboard: India vs New Zealand, Second Test, Day 5 - Nov 16, 2010
- Spinners leave New Zealand tottering at 148/4 lunch (Lunch report) - Nov 06, 2010
- Ryder, Williamson defy Indian attack (Tea Report) - Nov 06, 2010
- Kiwi opener McIntosh wants to settle scores with India's Zak in Hyderabad - Nov 11, 2010
- Taylor, Ryder rescue New Zealand in Napier Test (Tea report) - Mar 26, 2009
- New Zealand opt to bat against India - Nov 12, 2010
Tags: basin reserve, chris martin, cricket test, deliveries, difficult period, guptill, lunch report, mahendra singh dhoni, mccullum, morning session, munaf patel, ross taylor, series 1, stumps, target, test series, tim mcintosh, wicket, wickets, zaheer khan