Yuki wins junior Australian Open to create history (Second Lead)January 31st, 2009 - 4:05 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Jan 31 (IANS) Yuki Bhambri Saturday joined a select band of three other great Indian tennis stars by winning a junior Grand Slam tennis title, but the only one to do it at the Australian Open by outclassing German Alexandros-Ferdinandos Georgoudas 6-3, 6-1.Top seeded Yuki stamped his authority in packing off Georgoudas in less than an hour, 57 minutes to be precise.
The junior World No. 2 Yuki emulated the country’s tennis icons Ramanathan Krishnan and his son Ramesh and Leander Paes to win the singles title at a Grand Slam.
Ramanathan won the Wimbledon junior title in 1954, the first Asian player to achieve the feat. His son Ramesh carried the legacy. However, he is the only Indian to win two titles in the same year in 1979 — French Open and Wimbledon.
Paes is the only Indian to win a junior Grand Slam title in different years, his first in at Wimbledon in 1990 and then the US Open in 1991 as a 17-year-old.
Like Paes, Yuki has won his first Grand Slam at 16, and his post-match comments show that the Delhi youngster has his feet firmly planted on the ground.
Yuki also joins an illustrious list of former Australian Open junior champions like Andy Roddick, Marcos Baghdatis and Gael Monfils, all accomplished players on the circuit now.
“Winning the title is a big thing for me. But I am aware that it is a small step to bigger things in life,” Yuki said.
“I was confident that I could win. I had worked really hard. I changed my actions, I worked on my fitness and brought more power to my shots. It was a hard work of three-four months which paid off today”
Yuki dominated from the start, serving big and showing good court-craft. Such was his grip on 17 year-old Georgoudas that the German could not come anywhere near breaking his serve and at the same time hardly allowed him to hold his.
“I was a little nervous in the beginning, but as the match progressed I was calm and played my shots. I cut down on the errors against Georgoudas and made him play more balls,” said Yuki, who trains at the famous Nick Bollettieri Academy.
Yuki now wants to carry forward his success into the senior ranks.
“I am now gearing up to play in the men’s circuit,” said Yuki who is planning to play in a couple of ITF tournaments in Australia.
Yuki had been in imperial form right through the tournament and raised his game by a notch or two in the final.
Nothing worked for Georgoudas as Yuki was in firm control of the match never letting the grip off.
Georgoudas lost his first service game, his shots peppering the net, and he could never recover. The German, who shocked No.2 seed Julen Uriguen in the semi-final, was soon going downhill as Yuki mixed his clever netplay with some whipping forehands. The lone hiccup for the Indian was when he double-faulted in his final service game but that hardly made any difference to the final outcome.
Georgoudas conceded after the match that Yuki was too good and complimented him on a resounding victory.
“It is a very nice tournament here; well done Yuki, and I hope to play here in the future,” Georgoudas said.
- Four Indians for Junior Australian Open - Jan 20, 2012
- Australian Open: Yuki wins junior title; narrow miss for Bhupathi-Knowles (Roundup) - Jan 31, 2009
- Paes-Stepanek shock Bryan brothers; lift Australian Open men's doubles title (Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- Yuki in Australian Open final, confident of pulling it off - Jan 30, 2009
- Paes' Olympic partner hangs fire - Jan 01, 2012
- It's for AITA to decide Olympics line-up: Bhupathi - Feb 09, 2012
- Paes thanks Stepanek for helping him win Australian Open - Jan 28, 2012
- Federer beats Djokovic to reach Wimbledon final - Jul 06, 2012
- Yuki Bhambri and Rutuja Bhosale are new national tennis champions - Oct 15, 2011
- Yuki Bhambri pulls out of junior French Open - May 26, 2009
- Delhi boy Yuki creates history, wins junior Australian Open (Lead) - Jan 31, 2009
- Paes-Melzer win Shanghai Masters doubles - Oct 17, 2010
- Paes aiming to win Olympic medal in doubles - Feb 03, 2012
- Somdev gets direct entry in Chennai Open - Nov 25, 2010
- Top seed Yuki eyeing his second junior Grand Slam - Sep 06, 2009
Tags: alexandros, andy roddick, australian open, gael, grand slam tennis, grand slam title, indian tennis, junior champions, leander paes, marcos baghdatis, ramanathan krishnan, ramesh, select band, singles title, tennis stars, tennis title, wimbledon, wimbledon in 1990, winning the title, yuki bhambri