Yuki to go for back-to-back ITF titlesApril 26th, 2009 - 10:48 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 26 (IANS) Yuki Bhambri will be aiming for back-to-back titles on the men’s circuit when the second $15,000 International Tennis Federation (ITF) Futures tournament begins at the DLTA complex here Monday.
The 16-year-old Saturday clinched the BHEL Futures to become the youngest Indian to accomplish the feat. The Junior Australian champion did not drop a set en-route the title win.
However, what also worked in the favour of the Delhi youngster was the early exit of the top three seeds. The second-seeded Ito Yuichi of Japan retired in the first round, the third seed Goran Tosic’s run halted at the quarter-final while the top-seed South African Raven Klaasen bowed out in the semis to Vishnu Vardhan.
This time around Yuki opens his campaign against Rohn Gajjar, whom he sent packing in the semi-final.
The finalist in the first Futures, Vardhan impressed with his performance, upsetting Tosic and Klaasen, and the confidence should reflect in his performance this week. He has been seeded sixth in the tournament and will play his first match against Belgian Frederic De Fays.
Klaasen, Ito will continue to be the first and the second seeds this week while German Pirmin Haenle is the third seed.
- Yuki wards off second set fighback by Gajjar - Apr 28, 2009
- Bhambri gets wild card for Delhi ITF - Apr 19, 2009
- Yuki records his best at ITF men's event - Apr 23, 2009
- Yuki too good for Punna, enters quarter-finals - Apr 29, 2009
- Tennis nationals: Rutuja stuns top seed Prerna - Oct 11, 2011
- Vishnu beats Gajjar to wins maiden ITF title - Jul 11, 2009
- Klaasen to take on Yuki in the ITF final - May 01, 2009
- Gajjar, Ranjit score easy first round victories - Jun 07, 2011
- A second ITF title and more ATP points for Yuki - May 02, 2009
- Yuki continues to dominate ITF tournament - Apr 30, 2009
- Yuki favourite to win back-to-back ITF titles - Jul 05, 2009
- Yuki wins maiden ITF title - Apr 25, 2009
- Myneni enters semi-finals of ITF Futures tennis - Nov 10, 2011
- Tennis nationals: Vishnu, Prerna lead men's and women's field - Oct 09, 2011
- Sharan halts Yuki's winning streak - Jul 09, 2009
Tags: australian champion, confidence, de fays, early exit, favour, futures, gajjar, international tennis federation, itf, klaasen, match, New Delhi, raven, semis, three seeds, tosic, vishnu vardhan, youngster, yuichi, yuki bhambri