Yuki jumps 619 places in ATP rankingsMay 5th, 2009 - 2:03 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 5 (IANS) India’s tennis sensation Yuki Bhambri’s maiden ITF title win last month has helped the teenager jump 619 places to a career best 839 in the latest Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) rankings.
Yuki won back to back ITF tournaments and his first win was only taken in account for the rankings this week. He is expected to gain more ground when the next ATP rankings come out because his second ITF title’s points will be considered.
“Winning two $15,000 tournaments at the age of 16 is a big achievement. I definitely feel that I have arrived on the scene. I have worked very hard and had been training a lot after my Australian Open win to iron out flaws. That gave me a lot of confidence in taking on the seniors in the two tournaments,” Yuki told IANS.
Amongst the other Indians, Somdev Dev Varman moved up one position to be ranked 146 in the singles and has 552 points in his kitty. Prakash Amritraj and Rohan Bopanna also moved up. Amritraj jumped 12 places to 166 while Bopanna has gained 33 places to be ranked 293.
In doubles, Mahesh Bhupathi has moved up two places to be ninth with 5,560 points while Leander Paes remained static at fifth spot with 7,010 ranking points. Bopanna moved up two places to be at 68th.
In the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) singles rankings, Sania Mirza managed to stay within the top 100, gaining one place, at 92 with 692 points. Sania, however, remains constant at 60 in the doubles chart.
- Sania gains four places in tennis singles rankings - May 14, 2012
- Yuki jumps 175 places to be ranked 664 - May 11, 2009
- Somdev, Sania climb in rankings - Aug 15, 2011
- Bopanna drops out of top-10 doubles ranking - Nov 28, 2011
- Bopanna jumps 89 places in ATP rankings - Oct 05, 2009
- Somdev reaches career high ranking of 66 - May 16, 2011
- Somdev touches career-high ranking of 68 - May 09, 2011
- Paes serves a threat, AITA defers Olympics selection (Roundup) - Jun 20, 2012
- Bopanna gains a place in doubles rankings, Bhupathi drops one - Jul 23, 2012
- Yuki jumps 111 places in ATP rankings - Jul 13, 2009
- Somdev reaches career best 73 in singles - Mar 21, 2011
- Somdev rises to career best ranking of 104 - Jun 07, 2010
- Sania, Somdev get wild card; 7 Indians for Olympic tennis (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Bopanna-Qureshi move to fifth in ATP Rankings - Nov 14, 2011
- I'm back to playing my best tennis: Sania Mirza (Interview) - Jun 14, 2011
Tags: association of tennis professionals, atp rankings, australian open, confidence, indians, itf, kitty, leander paes, mahesh bhupathi, New Delhi, prakash amritraj, rohan bopanna, sania mirza, seniors, teenager, tennis association, tennis sensation, varman, wta singles rankings, yuki bhambri