Yuki has it easy in ITF Futures first roundApril 21st, 2009 - 6:15 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 21 (IANS) India’s wilcard Yuki Bhambri made short work of Israeli qualifier Saar Steele in the first round of the $15,000 BHEL International Tennis Federation (ITF) men’s Futures on a searing day at the DLTA complex here Tuesday.
The junior Australian Open champion played an all-round game to swiftly demolish the 24-year-old Israeli 6-2, 6-3.
Yuki, who has been training at the famous Nick Bollettieri Academy, Florida, for four months, served impeccably and showed a vast repertoire of shots.
Such was the 16-year-old’s command that Steele could only eke out two games in the first set and was broken twice.
Yuki kept up the momentum in the second set and, with a break of serve in the third and the ninth game, won the set and the match in three quarters of an hour.
In another other first round match, top seed Raven Klaasen of South Africa was stretched to the limit by an impressive Navdeep Singh, who could not clinch a match-point in the tenth game of the decider, and eventually went down 7-6(5), 6-7(2), 5-7 in a three-hour marathon.
On the adjacent court, sixth seed Divij Sharan was upset by American Adam El Mithdawy, losing 6-7 (5), 1-6 while fifth seed Vishnu Vardhan escaped with a 5-7, 6-4, 7-6(5) win against by Thailand’s Peerakit Siributwong.
- Yuki continues to dominate ITF tournament - Apr 30, 2009
- Bhambri gets wild card for Delhi ITF - Apr 19, 2009
- Yuki sails into ITF tournament second round - Jul 07, 2009
- Yuki too good for Punna, enters quarter-finals - Apr 29, 2009
- Yuki advances; Vishnu flatters to deceive (Lead) - Jan 02, 2012
- Yuki records his best at ITF men's event - Apr 23, 2009
- Yuki wards off second set fighback by Gajjar - Apr 28, 2009
- US Open: Murray, Williams reach fourth round - Sep 02, 2012
- Yuki sails into ITF second round - Jun 06, 2011
- Yuki battles past Tal in ITF tournament quarters - Jul 08, 2009
- Yuki concedes ITF quarterfinals - Jun 09, 2011
- National Tennis: Vishnu, Yuki breeze into semis - Oct 13, 2011
- Rogers Cup: Sania falters at final qualifying round - Aug 08, 2011
- Ashutosh shocks third seed; enters ITF tournament quarters (Lead) - Jul 01, 2009
- Yuki Bhambri and Rutuja Bhosale are new national tennis champions - Oct 15, 2011
Tags: american adam, australian open, australian open champion, decider, fifth seed, four months, international tennis federation, klaasen, match point, navdeep singh, New Delhi, nick bollettieri academy, quarters of an hour, saar, sixth seed, tenth game, three quarters, two games, vishnu vardhan, yuki bhambri