Yu Zaiqing of China elected IOC vice presidentAugust 7th, 2008 - 11:37 am ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 7 (Xinhua) Yu Zaiqing of China was elected vice-president of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) at the 120th IOC session here Thursday. IOC president Jacques Rogge announced the result after Yu won 84 of the 94 valid ballots.
“Thank you for choosing me. It is a great honour,” said Yu who was the only candidate for the post left vacant by Sweden’s Gunilla Lindberg.
“Under the guidance and support of IOC, I have worked for the preparation of the Beijing Olympic Games for several years. Now the Games are ready and the Chinese people are ready to deliver a successful Games,” said the 57-year-old.
“I will spend more time and energy to promote Olympics in my country,” he said.
Yu, vice-president of the Chinese Olympic Committee, became the second Chinese to hold the post after He Zhenliang.
The IOC general assembly also elected six members to the executive board. They are Denis Oswald of Switzerland, Rne Fasel of Switzerland, Mario Vazquez Rana of Mexico, newly-elected Athletes Commission chairman Frank Fredericks of Namibia, Nawal El Moutawakel of Morocco and Richard Carrion of Puerto Rico.
- OCA president arrives for biggest ever Asian Games - Nov 12, 2010
- Cameron says London will be ready for Olympics - Mar 28, 2012
- IOC concerned over progress of work in Rio - Jun 07, 2012
- Asian Games opening ceremony 'absolutely fantastic', says Rogge - Nov 13, 2010
- Olympic flame lit in Greece (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Istanbul, Madrid, Tokyo vie for hosting 2020 Olympics - May 24, 2012
- IOC President Jacques Rogge bids to stay in power - Sep 24, 2009
- Rogge praises Youth Games, expects top athletes in 2014 - Aug 26, 2010
- Former IOC president Samaranch dies at 89 - Apr 22, 2010
- Olympic Committee chief in New Delhi for CWG - Oct 02, 2010
- Rio's choice opens door for Africa, Munich - Oct 04, 2009
- Six new events for 2014 Winter Olympics - Apr 07, 2011
- Malaysian Tunku Imran is Commonwealth Games Federation's new president - Nov 12, 2011
- 2012 Olympic torch lit in Ancient Olympia - May 10, 2012
- India asks IOC to drop Dow as Olympic sponsor - Feb 27, 2012
Tags: beijing, chinese olympic, commission chairman, denis oswald, fasel, frank fredericks, general assembly, gunilla, international olympic committee, ioc president jacques rogge, ioc session, lindberg, mario vazquez rana, nawal el moutawakel, olympic games, president of the international olympic committee, richard carrion, rne, valid ballots, xinhua