Youths addicted to mobile phones, computers: StudyApril 19th, 2011 - 7:03 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 19 (IANS) Youngsters are inseparably hooked to gadgets like mobile phones and computers, with some so addicted that they seem to have lost a limb when they are without them, a global survey said.
Some respondents reported feeling so deprived without their iPhones or BlackBerrys that it was similar to the “phantom limb” syndrome suffered by amputees.
The findings, by the University of Maryland in the US, show the growing reliance that the younger generation has on technology and how it has become central to their lives, according to the International Centre for Media and the Public Agenda.
While phones were the most essential device, others such as computers, MP3 players and TV were also considered essential to get people through their day, the Telegraph reports.
Many young people reported mental and physical symptoms of distress and “employed the rhetoric of addiction, dependency and depression” when reporting their experiences of trying to go unplugged for a full day.
“Students talked about how scary it was, how addicted they were,” study leader Professor Susan Moeller said.
‘The World Unplugged’ project asked more than 1,000 students from 10 countries, including Britain, to go without their gadgets for 24 hours and monitored their feelings.
Moeller said that more than 50 percent of students failed to go the full 24 hours and everyone claimed to suffer some kind of withdrawal symptom.
- Youths inseparably hooked to mobile phones - Apr 19, 2011
- Scientists find youngsters suffer gadget 'withdrawal' - Apr 08, 2011
- Mirror trick could ease arthritis pain - Nov 15, 2011
- Phantom limbs more common than previously believed - Sep 25, 2010
- Students 'addicted' to social media - Apr 24, 2010
- Britons turning smartphone addicts - Aug 04, 2011
- Phantom limbs allow amputees to attain flexible body image - Oct 28, 2009
- Heavy use of mobile, PC affects sleep, mental health - Jun 12, 2012
- Nerve cell memory holds key erasing pain - Feb 14, 2012
- Musical glove improves sensation in paralyzed people - Jul 18, 2012
- Rumours of 'BlackBerry Cyclone' to take on Apple TV - Jul 16, 2011
- Bionic arm that relies on mind power to work - Feb 13, 2011
- Expert says Bin Laden could not have been 'Off the Grid' - May 04, 2011
- Haqqani ready to face memo probe, mulls legal action - Nov 21, 2011
- Is your teenager addicted to the internet? - Apr 11, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,