Yew tree enters record books for having canopy as big as Royal Albert HallMay 20th, 2009 - 5:29 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 20 (ANI): A yew tree, whose canopy is said to be as big as the size of London’s Royal Albert Hall, has entered the record books as the widest tree in the UK.
The tree, which was discovered in the grounds of Shugborough Hall, Staffordshire, and which has engulfed a National Trust garden, is 50 metres wider than its nearest rival, and has a crown circumference of 175.5 metres.
Experts believe that the 350-year-old Yew may even be the widest in Europe, and it has now been recorded in the Tree Register of the British Isles (TROBI) as the largest spreading crown of any tree in Britain and Ireland.
“This remarkable tree has spent most of its life growing naturally sideways rather than upwards,” the Telegraph quoted David Alderman, from TROBI, as saying.
“Many of its branches have rooted themselves, providing even more vigour as it has engulfed other trees originally planted 25 metres away.
“As yew can live for 1,000 years or more, if left unchecked, this tree could potentially keep growing ever wider and eventually cover the whole estate,” he added. (ANI)
- Shepherd's Monument 'code' is 19th century graffiti claims Brit historian - Feb 01, 2011
- Outer tree canopy leaves 'change shape to let inner ones get sunlight' - Apr 01, 2011
- British woman convicted for 229th time - Jun 28, 2011
- Angolan man enters records book for world's biggest mouth - Oct 28, 2010
- German hammer-thrower Heidler breaks world record - May 22, 2011
- Insect attacks doom frankincense production - Dec 21, 2011
- Where have all the sparrows gone? (With Images) (March 20 is World House Sparrow Day) - Mar 19, 2011
- God Particle's discovery 'biggest leap in physics' (Roundup) - Jul 05, 2012
- Exposure to bodycare products linked to childhood obesity - Jan 21, 2012
- 'Legend of Holy Thorn in Glastonbury' set for Hollywood treatment - Jan 12, 2011
- First Indian-American elected to Chicago City Council - Feb 25, 2011
- Lebanon claims record for world's biggest wine glass - Oct 31, 2010
- Mega celebrations mark Jain temple bi-centenary - Apr 15, 2012
- Plant stem cells pave way for low-cost cancer drug - Oct 26, 2010
- Lucknow scientists to rejuvenate mango orchard in Rishikesh - Dec 28, 2009
Tags: albert hall london, alderman, british isles, canopy, circumference, europe, ireland, national trust, record books, remarkable tree, royal albert hall, royal albert hall london, shugborough hall, staffordshire, telegraph, trees, yew tree