Yemen’s main oil pipeline blown upJanuary 30th, 2009 - 6:32 am ICT by IANS
Sana’a (Yemen), Jan 30 (DPA) Unknown attackers blew up Yemen’s main oil pipeline that carries crude oil from the north-central province of Marib to a Red Sea export terminal Thursday, but export operations were not disrupted, security sources said.The sources, who asked not to be named, said a technical team was assessing the damage to the pipeline that carries around 80,000 barrels of crude oil per day.
It runs from the Safir oilfield in Marib, 190 km northeast of the capital Sana’a, to the exporting facility of Rass Essa in Houdieda province.
The explosion occurred in the Arqain valley area, some 30 km from Safir. An investigation into the attack was going on to find out whether tribesmen or Islamist militants were involved in the bombing, the sources said.
Disgruntled tribesmen in Marib have frequently targeted the pipeline in the past few years in attempts to force the government to release jailed fellow clansmen or improve services to their impoverished areas.
On Jan 23, the leader of Al Qaeda in Yemen, Nasser al-Wahishi, threatened to carry out attacks against US and Western interests in the Arabian Peninsula.
“We will cut supply lines of the US forces in the Arabian Peninsula and attack Westerners and Western interests until America stops its support to the Jews,” al-Wahishi said in a rare video posted on Islamist web sites.
The most recent attack on the pipeline was carried out Dec 28 by tribesmen in the Khawlan area, some 60 km southeast of Sana’a, where the pipeline runs to Rass Essa.
Yemen is a small non-OPEC oil producer that pumps around 330,000 barrels per day.
- Al Qaeda leader urges Yemeni tribes to fight government - Feb 20, 2009
- 21 Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula militants killed in Yemen - Jun 11, 2011
- Al Qaeda declares support for uprising in southern Yemen - May 14, 2009
- Italian embassy staffer kidnapped in Yemen - Jul 30, 2012
- Al Qaeda financier held in Yemen - Jun 14, 2009
- Bulgarian envoy to Yemen escapes abduction attempt - May 14, 2012
- Al Qaeda asks Yemeni tribes not to hand over its fighters - Jun 19, 2010
- 14 Al Qaeda men held in Yemen - Sep 05, 2010
- Al Qaeda kills six cops in Yemen - May 14, 2011
- Hadi elected as Yemen's new president - Feb 25, 2012
- British envoy escapes unhurt in Yemeni suicide bombing - Apr 27, 2010
- Al Qaeda providing free electricity in Yemen - May 03, 2012
- Yemeni Al Qaeda commander killed in air strike (Lead) - Jan 16, 2010
- Seven found guilty over Al Qaeda terror plot in Yemen - Jan 26, 2010
- Al Qaeda forms army of 12,000 fighters in Yemen - Jul 30, 2010
Tags: arabian peninsula, crude oil, export operations, export terminal, fellow clansmen, islamist web sites, marib, nasser, north central province, oil pipeline, oil producer, oilfield, opec, opec oil, red sea, sea export, security sources, tribesmen, western interests, westerners