Yemeni warplanes bomb Al-Qaeda bases, 18 killedMarch 19th, 2012 - 5:14 am ICT by IANS
Aden (Yemen), March 19 (IANS) At least 18 terrorists were killed and dozens of others injured after Yemeni warplanes bombed several bases of the Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) in the country’s Abyan province Sunday.
Heavy shelling by the Yemeni military aircrafts and US naval vessels on the sea hit the Al-Qaeda bases in and around the city of Jaar, Abayn province’s second largest city, killing at least 18 terrorists and injuring dozens of others, Xinhua quoted a local official as saying on condition of anonymity.
Heavy shelling damaged some residential buildings of the city, a witness said.
Earlier, in a separate incident, Al-Qaeda Sunday claimed responsibility for killing a US citizen working as an English teacher at a Swedish-run institute in Yemen, media reports said.
Two masked men riding a motorcycle fired eight shots at the American, who was on his way to work in Yemen’s second largest city of Taiz, CNN reported.
According to CNN, the Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula — the terror network’s affiliate in Yemen — sent a text message to Yemeni media outlets, in which the group said the American was spreading Christianity among Yemenis.
- Nine militants killed in Yemen - Jun 11, 2012
- Yemeni air force attack Al-Qaeda strongholds, 12 killed - Oct 05, 2011
- Al Qaeda guns down American in Yemen (Lead) - Mar 18, 2012
- Al Qaeda releases 73 Yemeni soldiers - Apr 28, 2012
- Al Qaeda publicly executes three for spying - Feb 12, 2012
- Five Al Qaeda terrorists escape from Yemen jail - Jun 27, 2012
- Dozens killed in fresh Yemen clashes - Jul 31, 2011
- 21 Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula militants killed in Yemen - Jun 11, 2011
- 15 killed in Yemen - Jun 09, 2011
- U.S. State Department designates al-Qaeda operative Othman Al-Ghamdi - Jun 17, 2011
- 20 Al Qaeda terrorists killed in Yemen - May 26, 2012
- Al Qaeda suicide bomber kills 20 in Yemen - Aug 05, 2012
- Al Qaeda abducts Yemeni intelligence officer - Mar 22, 2012
- Seven Al Qaeda men killed in Yemen - Aug 23, 2010
- Yemeni president sacks intelligence chiefs - Sep 12, 2012
Tags: abyan, aden yemen, al qaeda, al qaeda in the arabian peninsula, anonymity, aqap, cnn, dozens, english teacher, march 19, media outlets, military aircrafts, naval vessels, residential buildings, taiz, terror network, text message, warplanes bomb, xinhua, yemen media