Yemeni leader Saleh ready to step down within 30 daysApril 24th, 2011 - 12:40 pm ICT by ANI
Saana, Apr 24 (ANI): Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh has finally agreed to step down within 30 days, and hand over power to his deputy on the condition of being given immunity from prosecution.
Yemeni Deputy Minister of Information Abdu al-Janadi declared that the government has accepted proposals for Saleh to step down, the Daily Mail reports.
The plan, negotiated by Gulf Arab mediators, is an outcome of the massive protests in the country against his 32 years of reign.
The protest movement demanding Saleh’s immediate departure said that it accepted the latest draft of the deal but with reservations.
Yemen has seen the largest demonstration over the two months period on Friday, with reports saying that thousands of protestors marched to voice out against saleh in Saana.
Those demanding Saleh’s resignation branded the day as ‘Last Chance Friday’, while his loyalists called it a ‘Reconciliation Friday’.
The six-nation Gulf Cooperation Council, including Saudi Arabia, has been seeking to broker an end to the political crisis in the impoverished country.
The opposition movement that is fed up with poverty and corruption under the rule of Saleh, however, have objected to an article in the GCC draft that gives parliament, which is dominated by Saleh’s party, the right to reject the president’s resignation. (ANI)
- Qatar temporarily closes embassy in Yemen: Report - May 27, 2011
- Yemeni President Saleh says he will 'soon' return to his country - Aug 17, 2011
- Over 50 killed as clashes between Yemeni security forces and tribal rebels continue - May 25, 2011
- Yemeni President Saleh calls for early presidential elections - May 21, 2011
- Yemen president to step down - Oct 08, 2011
- Yemeni government welcomes Riyadh's conciliation call - Apr 06, 2011
- Yemen witnesses anti-Saleh protests, people seek his immediate departure - Apr 25, 2011
- Yemen may witness signing of power transition plan Saturday - Apr 27, 2011
- Yemeni President left isolated following officials' resignation over killing of protestors - Mar 21, 2011
- Saleh not to sign power-transfer plan in Qatari envoys' presence - Apr 29, 2011
- Yemeni government hails UN's call for all-party dialogue - Jun 26, 2011
- 18 dead as Yemeni forces fire on protesters - Sep 18, 2011
- Five soldiers killed in al-Qaeda ambush in western Yemen - May 13, 2011
- Six more dead in Yemen clashes - Apr 14, 2011
- Hadi elected as Yemen's new president - Feb 25, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,