Yemeni forces kill two Somali piratesApril 26th, 2009 - 11:11 pm ICT by IANS
Sana’a (Yemen), April 26 (DPA) Yemeni navy and coast guard forces killed two pirates and injured three in a clash after Somali pirates seized a Yemeni oil tanker in the Gulf of Aden Sunday, coast guard sources said.
The sources told DPA that two navy ships were sent to aid coast guards gunboats involved in a gunfight with the pirates.
“Two pirates were killed and three others injured in the fighting so far,” said one source, adding that several Yemeni soldiers were injured.
A government official said the tanker, Qana, was empty of cargo when the pirates attacked it off the Yemeni coast earlier in the day.
He said the vessel was sailing from the Arabian Sea Yemeni port of Nashtoon to the southern port city of Aden when the pirates hijacked it.
Separately, Somali pirates Sunday freed a Yemeni tanker ship carrying more than 2,000 tonnes of diesel they held since Jan 3, Yemeni officials said. Fifteen crew members were also released, the officials said.
The release of the vessel, Sea Princess II, was secured through negotiations, the officials said, refusing to say whether a ransom was paid.
The tanker was en route from the Gulf of Aden to Nashtoon when the pirates attacked it and diverted it to the Somali coast.
The issue of piracy in the waters off Somalia, generally-recognised as a failed state, have created an international crisis for shipping, with the US navy and warships from EU countries now attempting to patrol the seas off the Horn of Africa.
- Six Somali pirates get death sentence in Yemen - May 18, 2010
- Pirates seize Indian vessel with 14 crew off Oman (Lead) - Jan 12, 2011
- Indian cargo ship hijacked by Somali pirates off Oman - Jan 12, 2011
- Indian Govt. mulling idea of having armed guards on merchant ships - Mar 15, 2011
- Italian ship with six Indians onboard hijacked - Oct 11, 2011
- Beijing denies reports of Somali hijacking of Chinese-flagged commercial ship - Feb 06, 2011
- Cargo ships may have armed guards to fight pirates - Mar 15, 2011
- Coast Guard plane chases pirates away off Lakshadweep - Jan 28, 2011
- Navy thwarts pirate attack on two cargo ships - Sep 26, 2011
- Somali pirates seize Yemeni cargo ship - Dec 29, 2009
- Without UN effort, piracy elimination difficult: India - Jun 27, 2011
- After anti-piracy mission, INS Cankarso returns home - Feb 02, 2011
- Indian warship thwarts pirate attack on Greek vessel - Jul 19, 2011
- Pirate ship sunk by navy, Coast Guard in Arabian Sea (Lead) - Jan 29, 2011
- Somali pirates hijack Yemeni ship in the Arabian Sea - Jan 03, 2009
Tags: arabian sea, city of aden, eu countries, gulf of aden, gunboats, gunfight, horn of africa, international crisis, navy ships, oil tanker, qana, sea princess, somali coast, somali pirates, tanker ship, us navy, warships, yemeni forces, yemeni officials, yemeni port