Yemeni court issues death sentence in spying caseMarch 23rd, 2009 - 5:31 pm ICT by IANS
Sana’a (Yemen), March 23 (DPA) Yemen’s state security court has issued a death sentence in the case of a man accused of spying for Israel. Two other men received jail sentences of three and five years in the same case.
Presiding judge Mouhssien Alwan said the court convicted the trio after it checked the evidence and found out that it was “clear enough to let the court have the degree of certainty to convict them”.
The prosecution has charged the three young men with establishing contacts with Israel’s former prime minister Ehud Olmert, offering to work as agents for the Mossad intelligence agency.
The group’s leader, Bassam Abdullah al-Haidari, 26, received the death sentence. Ali Abdullah al-Mahfal, 24, received a five-year jail sentence, while Emad Ali al-Raimi, 23, got a three-year jail term.
“This is an unfair ruling, this is not the court’s verdict,” al-Haidari shouted at the presiding judge after he delivered the verdict.
“I seek God’s help against you. You will be held accountable someday for this unjust ruling,” al-Mahfal shouted. The three convicts said they would appeal the verdict.
Prosecutors have said the group had sent letters by email to the Israeli premier, offering to work for Mossad.
They said the defendants had received a positive reply from Israeli officials, who allegedly welcomed the offer.
The three men were part of a group of six suspects arrested last October over alleged links with Mossad. The three others were released before the trial, due to a lack of evidence.
The arrests followed the bombing of the US embassy in Sana’a last September, the responsibility for which was later claimed by Al-Qaeda.
Officials have said the group sentenced Monday operated under a fake name, the “Islamic Jihad of Yemen”, and issued false statements claiming responsibility for the US embassy attack, in which 18 people were killed, including six attackers.
- Seven found guilty over Al Qaeda terror plot in Yemen - Jan 26, 2010
- Abducted Saudi diplomat in Yemen makes fresh appeal - Jul 02, 2012
- Italian embassy staffer kidnapped in Yemen - Jul 30, 2012
- Iran sentences 13 for spying for Israel: TV - May 14, 2012
- Two Pakistani sentenced to death in Yemen - Jun 27, 2010
- 75 injured in Yemen protests - Mar 09, 2011
- Emergency declared in Yemen, 41 killed in police firing (Third Lead) - Mar 18, 2011
- Al-Qaeda leader Anwar al-Awlaki sentenced to ten years in prison - Jan 17, 2011
- Ukrainian, two Israelis get life term in Egypt - Mar 13, 2012
- 19 killed, hundreds injured in clashes across Yemen - May 12, 2011
- Al Qaeda guns down American in Yemen (Lead) - Mar 18, 2012
- Six Somali pirates get death sentence in Yemen - May 18, 2010
- UAE expands food aid programme in Yemen - Jul 19, 2012
- Somali pirates jailed for 10 years in Yemen - Nov 20, 2011
- Yemeni President left isolated following officials' resignation over killing of protestors - Mar 21, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,