Yemen troops capture Al Qaeda strongholdJune 16th, 2012 - 6:03 am ICT by IANS
Sana’a, June 16 (IANS/AKI) The Yemeni military has recaptured the southern city of al-Shaqra, considered a stronghold of the Al Qaeda.
This is the third city retaken from militants who had captured them more than a year ago.
Among the retreating militants was Jalal al-Baleidi, also known as Abu Hamza al-Zinjibari, leader of the Ansar al Sharia (Partisans of Islamic Law) group in Abyan.
The US has helped the government offensive that began more than a month ago. Government troops have taken back militant strongholds of Jaazr and Zinjibar.
Yemeni soldiers killed 40 militants Thursday.
The US has used drones and military training to help Yemen combat Islamist militants.
- 20 Al Qaeda terrorists killed in Yemen - May 26, 2012
- Al Qaeda suicide bomber kills 20 in Yemen - Aug 05, 2012
- Al Qaeda releases 73 Yemeni soldiers - Apr 28, 2012
- 13 Al Qaeda militants killed in Yemen - Jul 04, 2011
- Yemeni air force attack Al-Qaeda strongholds, 12 killed - Oct 05, 2011
- Nine militants killed in Yemen - Jun 11, 2012
- 21 Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula militants killed in Yemen - Jun 11, 2011
- Dozens killed in fresh Yemen clashes - Jul 31, 2011
- Seven Al Qaeda men killed in Yemen - Aug 23, 2010
- Yemeni president sacks intelligence chiefs - Sep 12, 2012
- Three killed in Al Qaeda attack in Yemen - Jul 14, 2010
- Saleh's family preventing vice-president from taking full power - Jun 06, 2011
- Al Qaeda forms army of 12,000 fighters in Yemen - Jul 30, 2010
- Al Qaeda providing free electricity in Yemen - May 03, 2012
- Saleh sacks defected military commander in Yemen - Mar 28, 2011