Yemen to get over $3 billion Saudi Arabian aidMay 24th, 2012 - 4:22 am ICT by IANS
Sana’a, May 24 (IANS) Saudi Arabia has announced to give over $3 billion aid to its unrest-ridden neighbour Yemen for developmental works, according to official SABA news agency.
During “the Friends of Yemen” meet held Wednesday in Riyadh city, Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Saud al-Faisal said the kingdom of Saudi Arabia “pledges $3.25 billion to aid Yemen in its development process”, reported Xinhua.
In the meeting, attended by representatives of 42 donor countries, another $ 1 billion aid was expected to be announced to help Yemen overcome political, security and economic challenges.
The meeting, the third of its kind in three years, aimed to help maintain the stability of Yemen and support its government to fight the resurgent Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP).
Yemen witnessed a year of popular protests, forcing the long-time leader Ali Abdullah Saleh out of power.
Under a Saudi-led Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) deal backed by the UN, Saleh’s deputy Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi was later elected as the new president in February for a two-year transitional term.
- Hadi elected as Yemen's new president - Feb 25, 2012
- Outgoing Yemen president heads to US for medical treatment - Jan 23, 2012
- Yemen's Saleh hands over power to new president - Feb 27, 2012
- Yemeni vice president is acting president: Al Jazeera - Jun 05, 2011
- Yemeni president sacks intelligence chiefs - Sep 12, 2012
- Yemenis go to polls as violence flares up - Feb 21, 2012
- 18 dead as Yemeni forces fire on protesters - Sep 18, 2011
- Abducted Saudi diplomat in Yemen makes fresh appeal - Jul 02, 2012
- Yemeni president apologises to US over embassy attack - Sep 14, 2012
- US asks Yemeni president to hand over power - Jul 11, 2011
- Saleh's family preventing vice-president from taking full power - Jun 06, 2011
- Yemeni President Saleh says he will 'soon' return to his country - Aug 17, 2011
- 20 killed as suicide bomber hits Yemen's presidential palace - Feb 26, 2012
- Yemen may witness signing of power transition plan Saturday - Apr 27, 2011
- Yemeni government welcomes Riyadh's conciliation call - Apr 06, 2011
Tags: abd, al qaeda in the arabian peninsula, ali abdullah saleh, aqap, donor countries, economic challenges, gulf cooperation council, hadi, kingdom of saudi arabia, mansour, new president, political security, prince saud al faisal, riyadh city, saba, saud al faisal, saudi arabian aid, third of its kind, time leader, xinhua