Yemen detains six Al Qaeda suspectsMarch 26th, 2009 - 1:18 pm ICT by IANS
Sanaa, March 26 (Xinhua) Six suspected Al Qaeda militants have been detained in Yemen on suspicion of plotting attacks against oil facilities in the country and tourists.
Yemeni security forces have arrested the six suspects who have been held responsible for carrying out two recent attacks against South Koreans, a statement posted on the interior ministry’s website said.
Four South Korean tourists and their Yemeni guide were killed last week in a bomb attack during a visit to the historical city of Shibam in Hadramawt province.
Then, a suicide bomber hit a convoy carrying a team sent to investigate the Shibam explosion, but no one was hurt. The suicide bomber, 18, is said to have received training in Somalia, according to Yemen’s official Saba news agency.
According to the statement, other suspects were still being hunted but “their arrest is only a matter of time”.
- Four tourists, guide killed in Yemen blast - Mar 16, 2009
- South Korean convoy in Yemen escapes suicide bomber - Mar 18, 2009
- Bystanders injured after explosion near British Embassy in Yemeni capital - Oct 06, 2010
- Four detained over failed UK envoy attack in Yemen - Jun 25, 2010
- Yemeni Al Qaeda commander killed in air strike (Lead) - Jan 16, 2010
- Somali pirates jailed for 10 years in Yemen - Nov 20, 2011
- Al Qaeda leader surrenders in Yemen - Jun 07, 2010
- Yemeni bomber narrowly misses British ambassador - Apr 26, 2010
- Yemen's president sacks government - Mar 21, 2011
- British envoy attack suspects to be put on trial - Sep 15, 2010
- 96 dead in Yemen military parade bombing (Lead) - May 21, 2012
- Al Qaeda suicide bomber kills 20 in Yemen - Aug 05, 2012
- Suspected Somali pirates nabbed in Gujarat quizzed - Jun 20, 2011
- Five Al Qaeda terrorists escape from Yemen jail - Jun 27, 2012
- Indian ship catches fire off Yemen coast - Apr 06, 2010
Tags: al qaeda, al qaeda militants, bomb attack, convoy, detains six, explosion, interior ministry, matter of time, news agency, oil facilities, saba, sanaa, security forces, shibam, south korean tourists, south koreans, suicide bomber, suspicion, xinhua, yemen