Yemen detains six Al Qaeda suspects

March 26th, 2009 - 1:18 pm ICT by IANS  

Sanaa, March 26 (Xinhua) Six suspected Al Qaeda militants have been detained in Yemen on suspicion of plotting attacks against oil facilities in the country and tourists.
Yemeni security forces have arrested the six suspects who have been held responsible for carrying out two recent attacks against South Koreans, a statement posted on the interior ministry’s website said.

Four South Korean tourists and their Yemeni guide were killed last week in a bomb attack during a visit to the historical city of Shibam in Hadramawt province.

Then, a suicide bomber hit a convoy carrying a team sent to investigate the Shibam explosion, but no one was hurt. The suicide bomber, 18, is said to have received training in Somalia, according to Yemen’s official Saba news agency.

According to the statement, other suspects were still being hunted but “their arrest is only a matter of time”.

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World |

Subscribe