Yacht owned by founder of Turkey used by prostitution ringDecember 21st, 2010 - 6:36 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec 21 (ANI): A yacht that belonged to the late founder of modern Turkey, Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, is said to have been used by an international prostitution ring catering to rich businessmen.
Ataturk, a former army officer and war hero who founded the Turkish state after the collapse of the Ottoman Empire in the early 20th century, had met Cabinet ministers and hosted foreign envoys aboard the MV Savarona.
According to the Anatolia news agency, ten suspects face charges including human smuggling, encouraging prostitution and establishing a crime ring.
One of the suspects, Tevfik Arif, a Kazakh businessman, is accused of financing a sex party aboard the 408ft yacht, but he has denied the allegations.
The court has ordered him and four other suspects not to leave the country and adjourned the trial until February 18.
Turkey deported nine Russian and Ukrainian women, including two minors, after authorities said they broke up a prostitution ring aboard the MV Savarona in late September.
After the raid, embarrassed Turkish government authorities said that the lease of the yacht would be cancelled and the white, steam-powered vessel, turned into a museum.
The agency report said the indictment alleges that Arif bankrolled the party aboard the yacht, which has 17 luxurious suites in addition to the master suite.
“He is someone who paid for all fees for the women, the agencies and men in the middle and the transfer of foreigners involved,” the Scotsman quoted the indictment as saying.
The yacht, which was bought by the Turkish government in 1938, the same year Ataturk died, had been leased by a prominent Turkish businessman for 49 years in 1989, and later sub-leased to different customers. (ANI)
- Modern Turkey founder Ataturk's yacht seized over vice ring allegations - Sep 30, 2010
- Donald Trump's business partner charged with running prostitution ring - Oct 03, 2010
- Cops caught out sex acts on Trump's associate's vice cruise - Oct 02, 2010
- Eliot Spitzer book party location 'appropriate for prostitution theme' - Oct 28, 2010
- Bridegroom fires gun, kills three in Turkey - Aug 09, 2010
- Turkish hackers attack Spartak site - Aug 23, 2012
- Where clocks have frozen in remembrance of Ataturk (IANS Travel - With Images) - May 25, 2010
- Turkey to do whatever needed over jet incident - Jun 24, 2012
- Turkey seized 11 tonnes of hashish in 2011 - Dec 17, 2011
- People saved from burning ship off Turkey - Aug 04, 2012
- Sweet sounds of chai, kitap and sekar in Turkish (IANS Travel) - Jun 14, 2010
- No hostility for Turkey: Syria (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- World's first quadruple limb transplant - Feb 26, 2012
- Ansari to go to Turkey Monday, focus on trade - Oct 08, 2011
- Terror attack foiled in Turkey - Jul 08, 2012
Tags: anatolia, anatolia news agency, army officer, cabinet ministers, crime ring, face charges, founder of modern turkey, founder of turkey, government authorities, human smuggling, kazakh, luxurious suites, mustafa kemal ataturk, ottoman empire, prostitution ring, rich businessmen, turkish government, turkish state, ukrainian women, war hero