Wrestler Sushil loses in first round, still in repechageAugust 20th, 2008 - 2:01 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 20 (IANS) Freestyle wrestler Sushil Kumar went down in the opening round of the men’s 66 kg freestyle competition, but he is still alive in the Games, as his conqueror fought his way through to the final Wednesday.Sushil Kumar lost to Ukrainian Andriy Stadnik on points after being pegged down 3-8 on technical points.
Indian coach P.P. Sondhi said: “His (Sushil’s) opponent was far superior but I have no regrets with Sushil’s show. Earlier in the round, his opponent was doing much better. So this was in his mind in the last period, too. Frankly, Stadnik was just a better wrestler.”
While the luck of the draw gave Sushil a bye in the first round, giving him a start straightaway in the quarterfinals, Standnik had to beat 2007 world no. 5 American Doug Schwab in the round of 16 to move further.
In the quarters, Stadnik, a former World Cup winner and 2006 World Championship bronze medallist, out-played the Indian. As Stadnik, quarterfinalist at the 2007 World Championships, moved into the final, all those who lost to him came through to the Repechage, which will decide the two bronze medallists.
In the Repechage first round, Sushil meets Schwab and their winner will meet Belarussian Albert Batyrov. Sushil will need to win a third bout after that to get himself a bronze. Schwab was fifth at the last World Championships, where Sushil was seventh.
Coming through to the final from the other half of the category is Turkish wrestler Ramazan Shahin, who won the gold medal in the 2007 World Championships, besides claiming the first place in the 2008 European meet.
- Sushil wrestles his way through Repechage for a historic bronze (Wrestling, Overall Lead) - Aug 20, 2008
- Olympics: Sushil secures silver on concluding day (India Roundup) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympics: Geeta Phogat out of wrestling (Second Lead) - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Sushil first to win back-to-back medals (Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Sushil assures 6th medal for India (Fourth Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympics: All eyes on Sushil after Yogeshwar's bronze (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Sushil Kumar assures sixth medal for India (Third Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Sushil in men's 66 kg freestyle final (Second Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- Wrestler Sushil grabs Olympic bronze(Lead) - Aug 20, 2008
- Olympic wrestling: India's Geeta in repechage (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympics: Wrestler Geeta, high jumper Sahana out (India Intro Roundup) - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Gold for Japanese grappler Obara - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Yogeshwar Dutt leads Indian challenge (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Sushil Kumar enters quarters - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Sushil sizzles into semis (Lead) - Aug 12, 2012