Wrestler Sushil grabs Olympic bronze(Lead)August 20th, 2008 - 5:22 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 20 (IANS) Fifty six years after wrestler Khashaba Dadasaheb Jadhav gave India its first ever individual Olympic medal, Sushil Kumar won an unexpected bronze from the same discipline defeating Leonid Spiridonov of Kazakhstan in the freestyle (66 kg) event here Wednesday.This is the second medal for India at the Beijing Olympics after shooter Abhinav Bindra claimed the first ever individual Olympic gold last week.
Twenty-five-year old Sushil, who went down in the opening round after getting a bye in the qualification, got through to the repechage as his conqueror Ukrainian Andriy Stadnik reached the final. All those who lose to the ultimate finalists take part in the Repechage, which decides the two bronze medallists.
In the Repechage first round, Sushil beat Doug Schwab of US before getting the better of Belarussian Albert Batyrov in the second round to qualify for the bronze medal match.
Sushil, finished 14th in the Athens Olympics in the 60 kg category, is the only Indian wrestler to have qualified for the Beijing event from the world championship in Azerbaijan in September. He finished seventh there and went on to win a bronze in the Asian Championship in Korea.
In the morning, Sushil had lost to Stadnik on points after being pegged down 3-8 on technical points.
Jadhav got the bronze in the Freestyle Bantamweight class in Helsinki, 1952.
This is the first time after 1952 that India have won two medals in a particular edition of the Olympics.
- Olympics: All eyes on Sushil after Yogeshwar's bronze (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Yogeshwar wins bronze, fifth Olympic medal fo India (Roundup) - Aug 12, 2012
- Sushil Kumar wins Gold medal at World Wrestling Championship in Moscow - Sep 13, 2010
- The best Olympics for India (Review) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympics: Sushil secures silver on concluding day (India Roundup) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Sushil first to win back-to-back medals (Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympics: Wrestler Yogeshwar gets India bronze after hockey embarrassment (India Roundup) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Yogeshwar Dutt leads Indian challenge (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Gold for Japanese grappler Obara - Aug 09, 2012
- Indian wrestling has a bright future: Sports minister - Aug 12, 2012
- Sushil wrestles his way to a stunning bronze(Second Lead) - Aug 20, 2008
- We are getting better at Olympics: IOA - Aug 12, 2012
- Sports Minister hails bronze medallist Yogeshwar - Aug 12, 2012
- Wrestler Sushil Kumar qualifies for London Games - Apr 27, 2012
- Indian wrestlers Yogeshwar, Amit book London berth, Sushil fails (Lead) - Mar 30, 2012