Wreckage of missing chopper in Philippines found, three dead (Lead)April 8th, 2009 - 4:18 pm ICT by IANS
Manila, April 8 (DPA) Philippine rescuers Wednesday found the wreckage of a helicopter carrying senior staff of President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo that crashed in a northern mountainous village, killing at least three people, officials said.
The Bell 412 helicopter, carrying five passengers, two pilots and another crew member, went missing Tuesday while on its way to Banaue town in Ifugao province, 270 km north of Manila, from the nearby mountain resort city of Baguio.
Ifugao Governor Teodoro Baguilat Jr said a team of police officers, village officials and rescue volunteers found the wreckage in a forested area in the mountainous village of Eheb in Tinoc town.
“The search for survivors is ongoing,” he said.
“Three people were found dead, but the others are missing,” Tinoc Mayor Lopez Tugong said.
Tugong said the identities of the fatalities were not yet determined.
“According to residents, the helicopter crashed and exploded in an area in Tingoc,” Tugong told a Manila radio station.
The passengers included Press Undersecretary Jose Capadocia, Appointments Secretary Malou Frostrom, Air Force Brigadier General Carlo Clet, a senior military aide of Arroyo, an assistant secretary of the presidential management staff and Clet’s aide.
The officials were on their way to Banaue as an advance team for a scheduled visit by Arroyo Wednesday. The trip was cancelled and senior aides said the president was “shaken” by the news of the missing chopper.
- Search on for missing chopper carrying Philippine president's staff - Apr 08, 2009
- Philippines interior secretary untraceable - Aug 19, 2012
- Main suspect in southern Philippine massacre surrenders - Nov 26, 2009
- Philippines braces for new storms, death toll rises to 246 (Lead) - Sep 29, 2009
- Philippine toll in floods, landslides rises to 300 - Oct 11, 2009
- Pilot dies in chopper crash in Russia - Apr 07, 2012
- Philippines rushes relief to north, typhoon toll 321 - Oct 12, 2009
- Benigno Aquino III sworn in as Philippines' president - Jun 30, 2010
- Indian state minister killed in helicopter crash - May 04, 2011
- Crash site found, Khandu body identified (Afternoon Lead) - May 04, 2011
- Operation on to retrieve Arunachal chief minister's body - May 05, 2011
- Tribals find crashed chopper, Khandu's mutilated body (Night Lead) - May 04, 2011
- Pilot killed in Turkish helicopter crash - Apr 07, 2011
- Snow freezes hopes of search for crashed MiG-29 - Oct 24, 2011
- Search for MiG-29 wreckage, pilot on: IAF - Oct 20, 2011
Tags: advance team, bell 412 helicopter, brigadier general, capadocia, city of baguio, crew member, forested area, gloria macapagal arroyo, least three people, malou, management staff, mayor lopez, military aide, mountainous village, nearby mountain, president gloria macapagal, president gloria macapagal arroyo, presidential management, rescue volunteers, village officials