World’s oldest blogger dead at 97May 22nd, 2009 - 7:13 pm ICT by ANI
Madrid (Spain), May 22 (ANI): A Spanish great-grandmother who billed herself as the “world’s oldest blogger” has died at the age of 97. Maria Amelia Lopez began blogging two and a half years ago when her grandson introduced her to the Internet on her 95th birthday.
“Today it’s my birthday and my grandson, who is very stingy, gave me a blog,” she wrote on her first post on amis95.blogspot.com on December 23, 2006.
Her musings on life in old age, Spanish politics and even international relations quickly earned her followers from across the world and she clocked up more than 1.5 million visitors to her blog, reports The Telegraph.
Born in 1911, she wrote from her seaside home on the Galician coast, touching on personal health problems, from trips to the doctor to bouts of dizziness, to her opinion on current events and modern day life. Using a mix of humour and nostalgia she shared her experiences of getting old and enlightened readers about life during the long dictatorship of Francisco Franco.
She blogged sporadically, sometimes once a week, sometimes daily - with the aid of her grandson because cataracts impaired her vision and in recent months posted video messages on her blog instead of written texts.
After discovering Facebook earlier this year she enthused: “The internet amazes me more and more” and promptly set up a group on the social networking site to defend old people’s rights. (ANI)
- Brit great-grandma beats cancer 5 times to celebrate 100th birthday - Jan 21, 2011
- Katy Perry wonders if internet is good - Jul 28, 2012
- Arbaaz wishes wife Malaika on birthday (Movie Snippets) - Oct 23, 2011
- Indian origin 96-year-old is world's oldest blogger - Aug 19, 2009
- Heigl names baby after great-grandmother - May 16, 2012
- Singaporean seeks 1m wishes over net to propose to ladylove! - Sep 14, 2009
- Harry Styles gives his phone number to Amelia Lily - Nov 23, 2011
- Dilip Kumar wishes fans pleasant 2012 - Jan 01, 2012
- Swedish student wins 'beach tester' job - May 02, 2011
- Sinead O'Connor talks about her search for sex - Sep 01, 2011
- Chinese fans grieve loss of Whitney Houston - Feb 13, 2012
- Concern over overworked online Chinese shopkeeper's death - Jul 27, 2012
- Osbourne spills the beans about ex-fiance on Twitter - Dec 30, 2010
- Mum saves kids by pinning down attacking dog - Aug 24, 2011
- Amelia Earhart's Mystery Set To Be The Halloween Trend This Season - Oct 31, 2010
Tags: 5 million, amelia, blogger, bouts, cataracts, dictatorship, dizziness, facebook, followers, francisco franco, great grandmother, international relations, madrid spain, musings, nostalgia, personal health problems, social networking site, spanish politics, two and a half years, video messages