World’’s oldest animal may be a phoneyDecember 29th, 2008 - 1:17 pm ICT by ANI
London, December 29 (ANI): A giant tortoise thought to be the worlds oldest animal, living on a remote British island since Napoleons time, may be a phoney.
Jonathans claim to the title had been founded on a Boer War picture of a Seychelles tortoise, which was said to have been on St Helena when the French military and political leader had been exiled there in 1815.
The land-dwelling reptile in the photograph had been named Jonathan, and for years it was considered that the animals were the same ones.
However, St Helena businessman and amateur historian Nick Thorpe said that he doubted the creature in the photograph had passed away 90 years ago.
Thorpe explained the confusion might have been created following the tradition among the Atlantic island territory natives to pass nicknames from father to son.
“I have a feeling that the Jonathan in the Boer War photograph died about ten years later, the Telegraph quoted him as telling the BBC.
“Since they have several giant tortoises on St Helena, they simply named the next largest one Jonathan.
“The date of 175 years old is being assumed because the Jonathan in the photograph of 1901 looks like the Jonathan of today.
“As they are very difficult to date, no one can say with any certainty that this current, reigning Jonathan is 176 or 150 or even 200,” he added. (ANI)
- Rare Napoleon letter sold for $400,000 - Jun 12, 2012
- Napoleon's hair auctioned in New Zealand - Jun 29, 2010
- Meet the worlds oldest animal - Jonathan the tortoise, 176! - Dec 04, 2008
- Napoleon's hair to be auctioned by Kiwi family - May 27, 2010
- Briton enjoys 50 years' solitude on island - Apr 27, 2012
- Uzbek woman held with 2,000 tortoises - Apr 05, 2012
- Napoleon 'hoped to conquer Britain from St Helena' - Jun 17, 2010
- Rescued World War I tortoise needs new home - Aug 11, 2012
- Adrift Italian cruise ship towed to Seychelles - Mar 01, 2012
- British man killed in fatal shark attack - Aug 17, 2011
- Leo DiCaprio shells out $400 for new pet tortoise - Sep 15, 2010
- Three poachers held in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 06, 2011
- A hard case to crack - May 31, 2011
- India signs pacts with Seychelles to combat piracy - Feb 15, 2012
- 100-year-old tortoise gets fitness training in Vienna zoo - Apr 12, 2009
Tags: amateur historian, bbc, boer war, businessman, confusion, december 29, dwelling, giant tortoise, island territory, jonathan, natives, nick thorpe, nicknames, photograph, political leader, reptile, st helena, telegraph, tortoise, tortoises