World’s major air accidents in 2008February 13th, 2009 - 4:23 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Feb 13 (Xinhua) US Continental Airlines flight crashed Thursday in suburban Buffalo in northern New York State, US, killing all 48 onboard and one on the ground. The following is a chronology of major air accidents worldwide in 2008.
On Feb 21, 2008, a passenger plane belonging to a Venezuelan airline company Santa Barbara crashed in the Venezuelan Andes just after takeoff. All 46 people on board were killed.
On April 15, 2008, a passenger plane crashed into a market in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo, killing over 50 people.
On Aug 20, 2008, 154 people died and 18 were injured after a 15-year-old MD-82 plane of Spanair crashed on takeoff and burst into flames at Madrid’s Barajas.
On Aug 24, 2008, a Boeing 737-200 belonging to Kyrgyzstan’s private company Itek-Air crashed shortly after takeoff from Bishkek’s airport, leaving some 65 people dead and 22 injured.
On Sept 14, 2008, an Aeroflot Boeing 737 plane crashed in a ball of fire near the Ural mountains, killing all 82 passengers and six crew members on board.
- Human error blamed for 2008 plane crash in Madrid - Jul 30, 2011
- Spanish airline to cease operations - Jan 28, 2012
- Small passenger plane crashes in eastern Canada, killing 4 - Jan 12, 2012
- Gulf Air passenger plane skids off runway in southwest India - Aug 29, 2011
- Plane carrying 127 passengers crashes in Pakistan - Apr 20, 2012
- Merpati Airlines passenger plane crashes in eastern Indonesia, killing 27 - May 07, 2011
- Russian jet makes emergency landing - Sep 09, 2011
- List of air crashes in residential areas - May 26, 2011
- 16 die in Russian plane crash - Apr 02, 2012
- Passenger plane crashes into Pakistani neighborhood, casualties feared - Apr 20, 2012
- 118 killed in Pakistan plane crash (Lead) - Apr 20, 2012
- Small plane crash in Russia kills two - Aug 23, 2012
- Gilani orders plane crash probe, official hints at blunder (Roundup) - Apr 21, 2012
- Plane with 127 on board crashes in Pakistan (Second Lead) - Apr 20, 2012
- All on board dead in Pakistan plane crash - Apr 21, 2012
Tags: 737 plane, aeroflot, air accidents, airline company, ball of fire, barajas, bishkek, boeing 737 200, continental airlines, continental airlines flight, democratic republic of the congo, eastern democratic republic, md 82, passenger plane, republic of the congo, spanair, suburban buffalo, ural mountains, venezuelan andes, xinhua