World’s Catholics number 1.166 billion: VaticanFebruary 20th, 2010 - 9:50 pm ICT by IANS
Vatican City, Feb 20 (DPA) The number of Catholics in the world has “increased slightly” to 1.166 billion, the Vatican said Saturday, reporting its latest church statistics.
The figures cover the year 2008 and are contained in the 2010 edition of the Pontifical Yearbook which was presented to Pope Benedict XVI at a Vatican ceremony.
They also registered a decrease of nearly eight percent in the number of nuns since the year 2000, with the steepest fall in Europe (17.6 percent) and the Americas (12.9 percent).
Some 19 million more Catholics were baptised in 2008 compared to the previous year - an increase of 1.7 percent, the Vatican said.
Catholics make up some 17.4 percent of the global population, a slight increase from the 17.33 percent in 2007, according to the Vatican estimates.
In what it called a “positive but moderate evolution”, the Vatican registered a one percent increase in the number of priests to a total of 409,166 during the period 2000-2008.
The total number of candidates to the priesthood rose by one percent in 2008 compared to the previous year.
Increases were registered in Africa (3.6 percent), Asia (4.4 percent) and Oceania (6.5 percent). However, the number of candidates for the priesthood in Europe has decreased by 4.3 percent, while in the Americas the figures remained unchanged.
- Catholic population rises by 11.5 percent - Apr 29, 2010
- Military spending not dented by economic crisis, says institute - Jun 02, 2010
- Putin files papers for presidential bid - Dec 08, 2011
- Much of the clergy is gay, claims former Catholic theologian - Nov 22, 2010
- India's external debt rises to $305.9 bn - Sep 09, 2011
- Madhya Paradesh claims 12 percent fall in poverty - Mar 21, 2012
- LA Auxiliary Bishop Gabino Zavala resigns after revealing that he fathered 2 children - Jan 05, 2012
- Muslims, Catholics hold inter-faith meet in Vatican - Jul 12, 2012
- Putin's poll promises to cost state $170 bn - Feb 17, 2012
- EU trade surplus with India was over $3 bn in 2008 - Nov 04, 2009
- Pope travels to Britain for four-day visit - Sep 16, 2010
- Hindus smell greed in Vatican declaring "Simpsons" as Catholics - Nov 01, 2010
- Eurozone's retail sales up - Mar 06, 2012
- Hailing altar girls outnumbering boys, Hindus urge Vatican to be more kind to Catholic women - Aug 10, 2010
- Golden bust of Putin to be displayed - Feb 17, 2012
Tags: asia 4, benedict xvi, catholics in the world, church statistics, city feb, estimates, global population, number 1, number of catholics in the world, nuns, oceania, pope benedict, pope benedict xvi, previous year, priesthood, priests, vatican, vatican city, year 2000, yearbook