World-record buffs create online database to rival Guinness Book of RecordsJune 18th, 2009 - 5:48 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Jun 18 (ANI): A group of world-record buffs have created a new online database that allows users to dream up their own outlandish categories, and post videos of their feats.
The Universal Record Database created by Dan Rollman and Corey Henderson gives everyone the chance to discover the “world record holder in them”.
“The whole dream is that everybody has a world record in them,” the New York Daily News quoted Rollman, president and co-founder of the Brooklyn-based Universal Record Database, as saying.
Rollman, 35, who worked in advertising, has a life-long fascination with world records, even trying in his 20s to eat the most ravioli.
At the annual Burning Man event in Nevada in 2004, Rollman and friends launched their own record book, a less bureaucratic and more whimsical version of the one made famous by Guinness.
Rollman and co-founder Henderson then spent months in an office creating a Web site that would allow folks from around the globe to upload videos and evidence of their exploits.
Since the site went live last fall, more than 1,000 feats have been documented-ranging from the most binder clips on a face (31) to the longest toenail (seven-eighths of an inch) to the most whoopee cushions sat on without smiling or laughing (16).
Several record-breaking hopefuls from the site will make their second appearance on “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon” on June 26, according to Rollman, himself a record holder for placing 60 bananas down his pants.
The Universal Record Database is located at urdb.org. (ANI)
- Lady Gaga launches her social networking site LittleMonsters.com - Feb 10, 2012
- Lady Gaga launches her own social networking site 'Little Monsters' - Jul 11, 2012
- Apple working on universal touchscreen remote - Jan 27, 2012
- 70-year-old carries 305 country flags - on his body (With Images) - Apr 25, 2011
- Septuagenarian carries 305 country flags and maps - on his body (Lead, superseding earlier story) - Apr 25, 2011
- Scientists create a 'dream' app - Apr 10, 2012
- Chinese firm buys video-sharing site - Sep 27, 2011
- YouTube co-founder decides to step down - Oct 31, 2010
- Forget search engines, try the new 'answer engines' - Feb 14, 2011
- Google co-founder Brin donates $500,000 to Wikipedia - Nov 20, 2011
- Dr. Moran Cerf working on a dream recording machine - Oct 29, 2010
- Four Indians among 'America's Coolest Young Entrepreneurs' - Aug 23, 2010
- Gaga launches her social networking site - Feb 10, 2012
- Co-founder of YouTube steps down as CEO - Oct 30, 2010
- Earth's temperature up by one degree Celsius since 1950s - Nov 13, 2011
Tags: bananas, binder clips, buffs, burning man, co founder, creating a web site, fascination, feats, guinness book of records, hopefuls, jimmy fallon, man event, new york daily news, ravioli, record database, rollman, whoopee cushions, world record holder, york daily news, york jun