World hockey chief asks India to speed up workMay 5th, 2009 - 10:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 5 (IANS) International Hockey Federation (FIH) president Leandro Negre Tuesday said he would like India’s ad-hoc committee to move ‘little faster’ with the process of putting up a unified federation before next year’s hockey World Cup here.
Negre, in his first visit to India last month had said that the World Cup would be moved out of India if the ad-hoc committee could not meet the guidelines of forming Hockey India before the event slated for March 7-20.
The ad-hoc committee set-up by the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) is running the sport in the country after superseding the K.P.S. Gill-led Indian Hockey Federation (IHF) following a bribery scandal.
“This is my second visit to India. I had meeting with the ad-hoc committee and took stock of their preparation for the World Cup. Our immediate concern is that there should be a national federation in place before the World Cup. Things could have gone a little faster because there is little time left and they have to amalgamate both the men’s and women’s unit,” Negre told IANS on the sidelines of his visit at the National Stadium, which will host the World Cup and the Commonwealth Games.
Negre, a former Spanish international, was accompanied by Indian Olympic Association (IOA) president Suresh Kalmadi, who is also the chairman of the ad-hoc committee, and India’s newly-appointed Spanish coach Jose Brasa.
Negre said: “I am very happy with the progress of the work here at the stadium. They are coming up with a world class stadium and we are looking forward to have the World Cup here.”
IOA president Kalmadi said “they would soon hold elections” for Hockey India.
Negre also said none of the countries have expressed any security apprehensions of playing in India, specially after Australia’s pull-out from the Davis Cup tie in Chennai.
“No country has so far expressed any security fear and I am hopeful that there should not be any problem,” he said.
- FIH decision unfortunate,uncalled for: IOA - Sep 06, 2011
- FIH president Negre to meet HI, IHF next week - Apr 07, 2012
- Gill turns down merger proposal with HI - Jun 24, 2011
- IHF rejects IOA's three-member panel - Aug 30, 2012
- FIH chief says elected HI will be in place soon - Nov 20, 2009
- FIH chief impressed with National Stadium - Jan 19, 2010
- FIH gives a month to HI and IHF to work out merger formula - Feb 26, 2012
- IHF, IWHF call special general meeting for merger - Aug 11, 2010
- FIH rejects ministry's contention, backs Hockey India - Aug 09, 2010
- K.P.S. Gill to chair IHF meeting - Apr 25, 2010
- HI to act tough on Bhopal nationals' participants - Jul 04, 2010
- Asia to host hockey's five continents tournament - May 06, 2011
- IOA forms Hockey India after FIH deadline - Jun 03, 2009
- No question of recognising IHF again, says FIH official - Aug 07, 2010
- Sports ministry recognises Gill-led IHF (Lead) - Aug 06, 2010
Tags: apprehensions, brasa, bribery scandal, commonwealth games, davis cup, davis cup tie, fih, hoc committee, hockey chief, hockey world cup, indian hockey federation, indian olympic association, international hockey federation, ioa president, national federation, negre, sidelines, spanish coach, suresh kalmadi, world hockey