World Cup 2010: Schweinsteiger accuses Argentina of being ‘disrespectful’July 1st, 2010 - 3:27 pm ICT by ANI
London, July 1 (ANI): German soccer star, Bastian Schweinsteiger, has cranked up the tension ahead of Germany’s quarter-final against Argentina with a blistering attack on Diego Maradona and his players.
According to The Sun, the midfield star blasted the Argy stars for having ‘no respect’ and accused their fans of spoiling the tournament.
“The Argentinians provoke and are always whingeing to the referee to try and change his opinion, we shouldn’t let ourselves be affected by their provocations,” Schweinsteiger said.
“It starts before the match, you see their body language, how they gesticulate, how they try to influence the referee, that is not part of the game,” he added.
He also slammed Argentina’s fans for allegedly taking other spectators’ seats in order to stick together.
“They sit together, in spite of the fact those are not their proper seats, and stop other spectators with the correct tickets from enjoying the game,” the paper quoted him, as saying.
The two sides, amongst the favourites for the World Cup title in South Africa, have a history together in major competitions, and their most recent meeting four years ago, was marred by ugly scenes towards the end.
“What the Argentines did is deeply ingrained in my mind. The fight after we beat them in 2006 has stayed in our memory more than our victory,” he declared. (ANI)
- Maradona unmoved by Schweinsteiger's comments - Jul 01, 2010
- Argentina will seek revenge against Germany - Jul 01, 2010
- Argentina must play for their lives to beat Germany: Maradona - Jul 03, 2010
- 'God wants' Argentina to be in World Cup final: Maradona - Jul 03, 2010
- Maradona brands Riquelme traitor - Jul 19, 2012
- Maradona's Argentina crushed by Germany 4-0(Night Lead) - Jul 04, 2010
- It is a dream come true to coach Argentina: Sabella - Aug 31, 2011
- Argentinian stars have a long affair with Kolkata - Sep 01, 2011
- Young German side humbles Maradona's Argentina 4-0(Lead) - Jul 03, 2010
- 'Hand of God' cheat Maradona calls for 'fair play' at World Cup - Jun 22, 2010
- World Cup will be best remembered for Maradona's theatrics - Jul 04, 2010
- Klose 'in mourning' after being red-carded - Jun 18, 2010
- 4-2-3-1 is the key for winning World Cup formula - Jun 11, 2010
- England were better opponents than Argentina: Lahm - Jul 05, 2010
- Brazil fans turning Argentines courtesy Messi-magic - Sep 02, 2011
Tags: argentines, argentinians, bastian schweinsteiger, blistering attack, body language, competitions, diego maradona, favourites, german soccer, july 1, midfield star, provocations, referee, soccer star, south africa, spectators, spite, ugly scenes, world cup 2010, world cup title