World could be in danger if ‘moderate’ Musharraf is removedNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:26 am ICT by admin
If Musharraf is removed, it is an “open question” what would then happen to Pakistan’s nuclear assets. The current peace with India could be in jeopardy as well, Rosen claimed.
“Remove Musharraf, and you may be gambling with the stability of Indo-Pakistani relations, with all that implies for the United States and the world,” Rosen warns.
Rosen argues that if Musharraf, the strongest figure in the moderate wing, is removed, it is possible that this balance would shift to the advantage of the Islamists and forces hostile to the West.
He writes that the Islamists in Pakistan are a well-armed and a well-financed force, that wield considerable influence within the government and have close ties with the Pakistani military and intelligence.
These ties grew in the 1980s when massive US and Saudi military assistance to Afghanistan’s anti-Soviet mujahideen flowed from Washington and Riyadh through Pakistan’s intelligence services, he adds.
According to him, in the 1990s, the Pakistan Government funded and trained Islamist “freedom fighters” for operations against Indian targets in Jammu and Kashmir.
US officials believe that by the time of 9/11, the influence of Islamist sympathisers in Pakistan’s Army, intelligence services, and government had reached a “dangerously high level”.
“Musharraf’s critics paint a rosy picture of what might happen if Musharraf is removed. But what if they are proved wrong, as critics of the Shah of Iran were in 1979 when they predicted that moderate forces would take power after his removal?
An unstable Pakistan could create a nightmare in the sphere of nuclear proliferation. What could happen is illustrated by the case of AQ Khan, who headed Pakistan’s nuclear programme until 2002,” he writes.
Rosen hosted Musharraf’s meeting with American Jews in New York in 2005 and has visited him in Islamabad “several times”, the Daily Times reported. (ANI)
- India playing great game in Afghanistan, says Musharraf - Nov 07, 2011
- American Jews a worried lot after Musharrafs ouster - Aug 21, 2008
- 'US should do more to support anti-Islamist forces along Pak's Arabian Sea coast' - Feb 02, 2011
- Jehadis want an India-Pakistan nuke war: Hiro - Nov 16, 2011
- Congress, BJP hit out at Pakistan - May 24, 2011
- Yes, I was embarrassed: Musharraf on Osama in Pakistan - May 07, 2011
- Osama affair embarrassing, I may have apologized: Musharraf (Lead) - May 08, 2011
- I am interested in American experiences in other countries: Deborah Baker-Ghosh - Oct 07, 2010
- US fear of terrorists grabbing Pak nukes overlooks bigger threat of nuclear war with India - Mar 09, 2011
- US, UK, Russia share concerns over Pak nuclear stockpile, proliferation: WikiLeaks - Dec 01, 2010
- Arab Spring's turbulent wake confronts US - Sep 14, 2012
- Islamist politics rages in sun-kissed Maldives, India worried (Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- WikiLeaks lays bare nuclear standoff with Pakistan, hacking by China (Lead) - Nov 29, 2010
- LeT group of savages needs to be crushed: US lawmakers - Mar 12, 2010
- New report shows a greater number of Jews in U.S. than in Israel - Oct 22, 2010
Tags: american jewish congress, army intelligence, critics, intelligence services, islamist, islamists, jack rosen, jammu and kashmir, jeopardy, jerusalem post, military assistance, mujahideen, musharraf, nuclear assets, nuclear proliferation, pakistan government, pakistani military, shah of iran, ties, world jewry