World champion Wang narrowly wins table tennis warm-up matchJuly 30th, 2008 - 2:42 pm ICT by IANS
Wuxi (China), July 30 (Xinhua) China’s triple world champion Wang Liqin gained a narrow win over a much lower ranked team mate in a table tennis men’s singles warm-up match here. Liqin along with top-ranked compatriot Wang Hao, four-time World Cup champion Ma Lin as well as substitute Chen Qi will show up for the men’s events in the Beijing Olympic Games next month.
Liqing was made to sweat in his encounter with 82nd-ranked Xu Hui before prevailing 4-3. Wang, who was unable to find the rhythm in the beginning, rallied from 0-3 down to level the score 11-8, 11-9, 11-8 Tuesday.
With the crowd cheering for him, Wang held on to his winning momentum to take the tiebreaker 11-4.
Liu Guoliang, head coach of the Chinese men’s team, said that Wang was out of form in the first half of the match but succeeded in pulling himself together later.
“This was the most valuable match for Wang because he could find his problem and made adjustment in time,” Liu said.
“At the Olympics, if he can perform as he did in the latter half of the match today, he will be the most powerful paddler,” he added.
In the men’s team event Monday, the 30-year-old Liqin was beaten by third-ranked teenage prodigy Ma Long 3-2 in a marathon battle.
The warm-up acted as a final test for the Chinese squad in the run-up to the Beijing Games. The challengers who overpowered the Olympic squad would be allowed to attend the table tennis worlds next year.
- Olympic table tennis: China secures another gold - Aug 02, 2012
- Which is better shakehand or penhold? Star players battle it out - Jun 25, 2011
- Olympics: Chinese won't have it easy at London - Jul 26, 2012
- Chinese paddlers ready for Beijing Olympics - Jul 29, 2008
- China reign supreme at World TT - Apr 02, 2012
- Olympics TT: Ankita exits after losing opener - Jul 28, 2012
- China wary of Germany in table tennis - Mar 27, 2012
- End of road for seven-time Olympian Jorgen Persson - Jul 30, 2012
- China announces largest-ever team for Guangzhou Asian Games - Oct 27, 2010
- Wang Shixian left out Chinese Olympic badminton squad - Jul 11, 2012
- Olympic TT: Inexperienced Ankita crashes out (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Top seed Zhang Jike advances to table tennis final - Aug 02, 2012
- Sanil Shetty, Poulomi Ghatak triumph North Zone TT - Jul 12, 2011
- Former ping-pong greats call for stars to play a revival role - Sep 10, 2009
- Olympic qualifying: Men paddlers top groups, Ankita in second stage - Apr 19, 2012
Tags: challengers, chinese men, compatriot, final test, head coach, liu guoliang, marathon battle, olympic games, olympic squad, paddler, ranked team, table tennis, team mate, tennis men, time world, triple world champion, wang liqin, world cup champion, wuxi china, xinhua