Workplace smoking can cost you your jobApril 17th, 2010 - 3:19 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Apr 17 (ANI): If you really love your job, then quit smoking, for some employers Down Under are cracking down on “ciggie breaks” and others opting to hire only non-smokers.
According to research, smoking costs businesses nearly 800 million dollars in absenteeism each year, reports the Couriermail.
“There’s a developing trend amongst some employers to hire a non-smoker over a smoker, if possible, because of a perception that a non-smoker is a more productive employee,” says workplace relations and safety lawyer Brad Petley.
Research shows smokers are 1.4 times more likely to be absent from work than non-smokers, says Cancer Council Queensland tobacco programs team leader Emma Dalglish.
Petley, principal of Acumen Lawyers, says: “Unfortunately at many workplaces, smoke breaks can turn into an unproductive social get-together where groups of employees take pre-arranged smoke breaks, favourite coffee mug in hand, and usually get involved in a gossip fest about the latest workplace goings-on.
“Many non-smoking employees are likely to say: ‘Why should I work hard when the smokers can walk outside for a break any time they want?’.” (ANI)
- Your dog at office could be a great stress buster - Apr 01, 2012
- Smoking break ban infuriates workers Down Under - Feb 03, 2010
- Smokers waste a year of their lives on breaks - Sep 29, 2010
- Smokers puff away more than a year of their working lives on breaks - Sep 28, 2010
- Trend to bar smokers from employment needs revision, say US experts - Jan 22, 2009
- China puts into place new smoking ban - May 02, 2011
- Brit smokers may lose jobs as they are "too much trouble" to employ - Sep 29, 2010
- Strokes hit smokers earlier than others - Oct 03, 2011
- Smoking zaps healthy bugs, invites pathogens - Feb 16, 2012
- All US workplaces could be smoke-free by 2020 - Apr 22, 2011
- Passive smoking can lead to mental illness - Jun 08, 2010
- Mumbai cabbies say no to tobacco - May 31, 2011
- More young adults into social smoking - Feb 22, 2012
- How cigarette smoke affects smokers - Apr 07, 2011
- Beware of cameras while smoking in Shanghai - Jul 28, 2012
Tags: absent from work, absenteeism, acumen, cancer council, coffee mug, couriermail, dalglish, emma, gossip, melbourne, million dollars, non smoking, perception, productive employee, queensland, smoker, smokers, team leader, tobacco programs, workplace relations