Women, children hardest hit among Congo refugees: UnicefNovember 1st, 2008 - 12:24 am ICT by IANS
Cologne (Germany), Oct 31 (DPA) Women and children caught up in the fighting in eastern Congo are in urgent need of help, the UN Children’s Fund Unicef said Friday.More than a quarter-of-a-million refugees fled the fighting in recent days between the Congolese Army and rebels under the leadership of General Laurent Nkunda.
Many children were separated from their parents, making them more vulnerable to abuse, Unicef said, adding that there was also a danger of young boys being forcibly recruited by armed groups when they are displaced.
All sides of the Congolese conflict have been accused of using and forcibly recruiting child soldiers to work as porters and cooks and even frontline soldiers.
Another German relief group, Malteser International, said there are increasing reports of women and girls being raped as they fled from the provincial capital of Goma.
Both organisations called on the warring parties to allow relief organisations unimpeded access to the refugees to provided urgently needed food and shelter.
The country was facing a humanitarian disaster, both Unicef and the german group said.
- Congo, Rwanda agree to attend summit on Congo violence (Lead) - Nov 01, 2008
- Diplomatic efforts to resolve Congo crisis under way - Oct 31, 2008
- Thousands of Congolese refugees flee fresh fighting - Nov 28, 2008
- Thousands flee as UN, Congolese army battle rebels - Oct 28, 2008
- UN aid convoy set to depart for conflict-hit Congo areas - Nov 03, 2008
- Unicef to help displaced women, children of Syria - Mar 24, 2012
- Peace talks with Congolese rebels fail - Dec 11, 2008
- UN chief calls for ceasefire in Congo - Oct 29, 2008
- Dozens killed in suspected massacre in eastern Congo: Report - Nov 07, 2008
- UN peacekeeper killed in clash in Congo - May 28, 2010
- Child soldiers continue to be recruited in Mali: UNICEF - Jul 07, 2012
- Don't recruit child soldiers: UNICEF - Aug 18, 2012
- Over 10,000 Kachin refugees flee Myanmar fighting - Jun 17, 2011
- Congolese rebel leader threatens war if talks not held - Nov 30, 2008
- More than 150 women raped in Congolese village, says UN - Aug 24, 2010