Woman who snatched baby from Chilean hospital nabbedMay 15th, 2012 - 11:48 am ICT by IANS
Santiago, May 15 (IANS/EFE) A 46-year-old woman who took a baby from the maternity ward at a Santiago hospital on Mother’s Day was arrested Monday, Chilean authorities said.
Lupe Carbonell, a Peruvian national who obtained legal resident in Chile five years ago, was detained at her home in the capital’s Quinta Normal neighbourhood.
The story of the missing baby was all over the media and some of Carbonell’s neighbours called police after spotting her with a newborn.
Security cameras at San Borja Arriaran Hospital filmed Carbonell, disguised as a nurse, walking toward the exit Sunday afternoon with a baby in her arms.
The infant, Constanza, was returned to her mother safe and sound, hospital officials said.
Police said Carbonell suffers from psychological problems.
“I wanted to be a mama again,” she told authorities, explaining that the combination of seeing her daughter’s happiness after the birth last month of Carbonell’s grandson and the Mother’s Day holiday drove her to take Constanza from the maternity ward.
Nearly 100 police personnel took part in the search for the infant.
Carbonell became familiar with the layout of San Borja Arriaran when her daughter gave birth at the hospital last month.
- Dominican woman sells her baby - May 01, 2012
- Puerto Rico busts septuagenarian for selling drugs - Mar 07, 2012
- Puerto Rico rocked by boy's death from malnutrition - Nov 22, 2011
- Actress Lupe Ontiveros dies - Jul 28, 2012
- Spanish singer to perform at laundromats - Oct 18, 2011
- Spanish government to set up stolen babies database - Apr 13, 2012
- Woman who stole baby says she did it to save her marriage - Jan 18, 2011
- Baby dies after beating in Puerto Rico - Feb 08, 2011
- Actress Roselyn Sanchez brings joy to kids with cancer - Aug 31, 2012
- Singer of Hippie anthem `San Francisco' dies - Aug 21, 2012
- Trapped Chilean miner is blessed with a daughter - Sep 15, 2010
- Father kills infant daughter with nicotine - Apr 10, 2012
- Mom's voice perks up premature baby's condition - Mar 09, 2012
- Four die in 50-vehicle pile-up in Chile - Oct 13, 2011
- Natalia collaborating with Franco De Vita, Daddy Yankee - Jul 04, 2012
Tags: arriaran, authorities, chile, constanza, efe, happiness, hospital officials, mama, maternity ward, neighbourhood, neighbours, nurse, old woman, psychological problems, san borja, santiago, security cameras, sunday afternoon