Woman who gave birth on plane charged with abandoning babyMarch 25th, 2009 - 1:42 pm ICT by IANS
Wellington, March 25 (DPA) A 29-year-old Samoan woman who gave birth on a flight to New Zealand was charged Wednesday with abandoning her baby girl in an aircraft toilet.
The woman was remanded in custody when she appeared in the Manukau District Court. She faces a maximum seven-year prison sentence for abandoning the baby, who is now in custody of the government’s child welfare department.
The woman, whose name was suppressed by the court, faced a second charge of assault on a child, Radio New Zealand reported.
The woman underwent surgery at Middlemore Hospital after what police said was a difficult and complicated birth on board the plane as it arrived in Auckland from Apia, the capital of Samoa, Thursday.
The baby was reportedly found by cleaners in the plane’s toilet rubbish bin after the 150 passengers and cabin crew, who reportedly knew nothing about the birth, had disembarked.
The woman was identified when authorities noticed her bleeding as she told immigration officials that she had misplaced her passport.
News reports said the woman was flying to New Zealand as part of a group recruited to work as seasonal fruit pickers. The airline said it did not know she was pregnant.
- Woman who gave birth on plane admits abandoning baby - Apr 09, 2009
- Baby Boy Born in Emirates Airplane Toilet to Be Named Ek - Aug 30, 2012
- Woman gives birth on plane, then leaves baby behind - Mar 19, 2009
- Woman strangles her newborn baby in Dubai airport - Dec 28, 2010
- Girl child found abandoned in Rajasthan - Jun 05, 2012
- Dead fetus found in airplane bathroom in Manila - Jan 05, 2011
- Dead Fetus Found In Etihad Airways Plane's Bathroom In Manila - Jan 05, 2011
- Pacific quake toll rises to 110 - Oct 01, 2009
- Woman delivers in aircraft, tries to disown baby - Jul 08, 2010
- Chinese woman gives birth in shopping mall - Jul 16, 2012
- Girl 'air-born' on Delhi-Toronto flight! - Oct 22, 2011
- Baby stolen from Colombian woman's womb - Sep 03, 2011
- Newborn baby left in airplane bin in Philippines - Sep 12, 2010
- New Zealand plane returns after smoke alert in cabin - Nov 29, 2010
- Drunk woman prevents plane landing - Aug 16, 2011
Tags: auckland, baby girl, cabin crew, capital of samoa, child radio, child welfare, fruit pickers, immigration officials, march 25, news reports, passport, prison sentence, radio new zealand, rubbish bin, s child, samoan woman, seasonal fruit, toilet, welfare department, wellington