Woman who gave birth on plane admits abandoning babyApril 9th, 2009 - 11:19 am ICT by IANS
Wellington, April 9 (DPA) A 29-year-old woman who gave birth on an international flight to New Zealand last month admitted Thursday to abandoning the baby girl in an aircraft toilet.
Karolina Maika was convicted and discharged after the Manukau District Court was told she was suffering from depression.
The judge heard that she had concealed her pregnancy because the child was conceived out of wedlock, which would have caused shame and embarrassment to her family and village in the Pacific island state of Samoa.
Police withdraw a charge of assault, saying they were satisfied injuries to the baby, who was found by a cleaner after the plane arrived at Auckland March 19, were suffered during birth and not inflicted subsequently, news reports said.
Maika was flying to New Zealand in a group recruited to work as seasonal fruit pickers. The airline said it did not know she was pregnant and the court heard that she was not aware before she boarded the four-hour flight from Samoa’s capital, Apia, that she was in labour.
Maika is in the custody of immigration officials awaiting deportation to Samoa and the baby is in the care of New Zealand’s child welfare department.
- Woman who gave birth on plane charged with abandoning baby - Mar 25, 2009
- Woman gives birth on plane, then leaves baby behind - Mar 19, 2009
- Woman strangles her newborn baby in Dubai airport - Dec 28, 2010
- Dead Fetus Found In Etihad Airways Plane's Bathroom In Manila - Jan 05, 2011
- Father jailed for life for killing 11-week-old daughter - Dec 15, 2009
- 18-month-old Indian toddler Anna Sangha's body found in New Zealand - Jun 07, 2010
- Baby born on Philippine Airlines flight has no nationality - Sep 23, 2011
- Man kills daughter because she didn't smile at him - Aug 09, 2012
- Husband of burnt Auckland Indian woman was son of Hindu priest - Jan 26, 2011
- Young mother 'stabs baby with scissors' - Apr 10, 2011
- Husband of murdered Indian woman, daughter in New Zealand in deep shock - Jun 09, 2010
- Husband of murdered Indian woman, daughter back in New Zealand - Jun 08, 2010
- Rs.85,000 to woman who conceived after surgery - Feb 25, 2011
- Woman delivers in aircraft, tries to disown baby - Jul 08, 2010
- Did Elizabeth Taylor give up her secret love child out of wedlock? - Apr 27, 2011
Tags: auckland, baby girl, child welfare, deportation, embarrassment, fruit pickers, immigration officials, international flight, labour, manukau, march 19, news reports, old woman, s child, samoa, seasonal fruit, suffering from depression, wedlock, welfare department, wellington