Woman keeps dead baby in fridge for five yearsApril 4th, 2012 - 3:13 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, April 4 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A Russian woman has been found guilty of killing her newborn baby and keeping its body for five years in a freezer.
A court in Arkhangelsk in northern Russia established that 37-year-old Lyudmila Smirnova gave birth to a baby girl at her home in January 2007 and then proceeded to smother it with a cloth.
She then put the body into deepfreeze, keeping it there until Dec 29, 2011, when it was pulled out by her male companion, who thought it was meat.
Smirnova admitted her guilt.
The court took into account the fact that she has two other children and gave her a 22-month suspended sentence.
- Russian woman jailed in failed terror attack - May 19, 2012
- Muslim woman sentenced in Russia over extremist article - Sep 13, 2012
- Russia plans 'child abandonment' centres - May 31, 2011
- Uzbek couple jailed for selling daughter - Jun 21, 2012
- Couple held for selling newborn in Moscow - May 09, 2012
- Woman in Russia jailed for selling newborn son - Jun 03, 2011
- World's tallest log cabin destroyed in fire - May 07, 2012
- Pussy Riot members found guilty in Russia - Aug 17, 2012
- Woman jailed for poisoning baby with breast milk - Dec 30, 2011
- Four teens held for rape, murder of minor girl - Apr 14, 2012
- Avoid meat before Olympics, China tells its athletes - Mar 15, 2012
- Family unhappy with new presidential term: Putin - Mar 08, 2012
- Woman set ablaze in Moscow - Apr 06, 2011
- Gay activists fined in Russia - Apr 25, 2012
- Woman gives birth on flight to Moscow - Oct 14, 2011