Woman held for trying to sell own babyAugust 15th, 2012 - 7:34 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Aug 15 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A woman from Kyrgyzstan faces up to 10 years in prison in Russia after she tried to sell her four-month old daughter for 35,000 rubles (about $1,000), prosecutors said.
The woman was detained in Samara region in southwest Russia.
The woman acknowledged that the baby girl was her daughter. A police search at the scene turned up the money the woman was to receive for selling the baby, officials said.
A criminal case has been opened on charges of human trafficking. The suspect is in custody and faces 10 years in prison.
The baby girl is in good condition and in the care of medical personnel.
- Couple held for selling newborn in Moscow - May 09, 2012
- Russian woman held for trying to sell son - Feb 29, 2012
- Uzbek woman held with 2,000 tortoises - Apr 05, 2012
- Drug traffickers held carrying heroin in stomach - Dec 27, 2011
- Convict pays bribe to escape prison on chopper - Apr 04, 2012
- Woman in Russia jailed for selling newborn son - Jun 03, 2011
- UAE refuses to extradite Russian corporate crime suspect - Jul 26, 2012
- Thieves in Moscow replace $700,000 with fakes - Dec 27, 2011
- Man vandalises Siberian nursery school - Apr 09, 2012
- Wanted sex trafficker extradited to Russia - Mar 31, 2012
- Moscow airports fined over facilities for disabled - Dec 17, 2011
- Case filed against mom caught selling toddlers - Jun 02, 2011
- Russia to sell silver, diamonds worth over $300 mn - Feb 22, 2012
- $2 mn drug haul seized in Moscow region - Aug 24, 2012
- Russian army officer convicted for shooting guard dogs - May 17, 2012