Woman gets smallpox after sex with soldier beauJuly 5th, 2010 - 6:13 pm ICT by ANI
Cape town, July 5 (ANI): Making out with soldier beau left a young woman in Washington suffering from smallpox, revealed US health officials.
After having sex with a soldier who was recently vaccinated against smallpox, the woman developed an illness caused by the vaccinia virus used in the shot.
The patient visited an urgent care clinic with painful, ring-shaped vaginal swelling,” Health24.com quoted Andrea McCollum, an Epidemic Intelligence Service Officer with the CDC, as saying.
“A few days before that, she had sexual contact with her boyfriend who was a recent smallpox vaccinee via the military,” he added.
First doctor tested her for common STDs and despite taking the antibiotics and antiviral medications, the woman continued having lesions and pain for the next three days, according to the report published in the CDC journal Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.
A second doctor then sent her to an infectious disease specialist who confirmed that she had the vaccinia virus, which is relatively mild compared to smallpox.
However, the woman did not require any specific treatment as it eventually resolved, said McCollum.
“The vaccine is not smallpox virus, but it’s a closely related virus called vaccinia,” she added. (ANI)
- Compound that halts poxvirus replication - Jan 04, 2012
- FACTSHEETS - Smallpox: in detail - Mar 25, 2010
- Zsa Zsa Gabor's doctor holds off leg amputation - Jan 04, 2011
- Why sex life doesn't have to end at menopause - Aug 15, 2010
- 'Small pox virus may become poor man's atom bomb' - May 28, 2011
- Republicans Nominate Rick Scott For Florida Governor - Aug 25, 2010
- New compound destroys deadly flu virus - Sep 26, 2011
- End of smallpox vaccination 'led to the explosive spread of HIV' - May 18, 2010
- GOP Attorneys General from 13 states file lawsuit over health care legislation - Mar 23, 2010
- Florida AG files lawsuit against federal government over health care legislation - Mar 23, 2010
- Attorneys General from 13 states file lawsuit over health care legislation - Mar 23, 2010
- Did end of smallpox vaccination trigger explosive HIV spread? - May 18, 2010
- Discovery enables quicker diagnosis of chikunguyna - Mar 15, 2012
- Three killed in shooting near US varsity (Lead) - Aug 14, 2012
- Anti-hepatitis A shot effective for 10 years - Aug 10, 2012
Tags: antibiotics, cape town, cdc, common stds, epidemic intelligence service, having sex, health officials, infectious disease, infectious disease specialist, lesions, mccollum, morbidity and mortality, morbidity and mortality weekly report, mortality weekly report, sexual contact, smallpox, smallpox virus, urgent care clinic, vaccinia virus, young woman