Woman doctor stabbed in BeijingApril 13th, 2012 - 10:19 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, April 13 (IANS) A woman doctor at a hospital in Beijing was Friday stabbed by a knife-wielding masked man, the second such incident in China within a month.
The attack took place around 10.30 a.m. at the Peking University People’s Hospital.
Xing Zhimin of the otolaryngological department, who was receiving a patient at the time, was attacked by the masked man, a hospital spokesman told Xinhua.
Xing was wounded and the assailant fled the spot.
Later, the ministry of health issued a statement on its website urging authorities to take concrete measures to ensure the security of medical institutes.
“Medical institutions are where members of the public go to seek treatment for distressing illnesses. Violent crimes that occur in these places must be strongly condemned. The hospitals should be able to continue treating people as usual, and the safety of medical staff and patients must be ensured,” the ministry said.
This was the second such attack on doctors in the country in less than a month.
On March 23, a 17-year-old patient barged into an office at the First Affiliated Hospital of Harbin Medical University in Harbin city, and stabbed four medical practitioners in the head and neck before trying to take his own life.
One wounded medical intern died and three other hospital staff were injured.
The suspect reportedly attacked the staff because he was not given immediate treatment when seeking medical help.
- Four killed in China stabbing, arson attack - Aug 04, 2012
- When 50 taxi drivers in China helped an ailing colleague - Sep 08, 2012
- New rules for bio-medical waste management - Sep 25, 2011
- Chinese patient jailed for hospital stabbing - Apr 21, 2012
- Two students hurt in China knife attack - Feb 08, 2012
- Kin of deceased man vandalise Noida government hospital - Mar 21, 2012
- Digitized medical records for Delhi public hospitals - Feb 03, 2012
- Three dead, four hurt in Bosnia knife attack - May 15, 2010
- China mulls new mental health law - Jun 13, 2011
- Patient takes revenge on hospital for 'ruined' sex - May 14, 2012
- Bahrain Government cracks down on its medical fraternity - Apr 21, 2011
- Apex court issues notice to IMA over doctors' strike - Jun 25, 2012
- A medical tourism company - with end-to-end solutions - Dec 28, 2010
- Katara murder: Court sets up panel to probe convicts' hospital visits - Mar 23, 2012
- Research for Congo virus antidote on: Health expert - Jan 23, 2011
Tags: affiliated hospital, assailant, beijing, concrete measures, hospital spokesman, hospital staff, masked man, medical help, medical institutes, medical institutions, medical intern, medical practitioners, medical staff, medical university, ministry of health, peking university, s hospital, violent crimes, woman doctor, xinhua