Woman caught smuggling heroin-stuffed buttons to TurkeyMarch 17th, 2009 - 7:06 pm ICT by IANS
Dushanbe, March 17 (RIA Novosti) Customs officials in Tajikistan detained a Filipino woman at Dushanbe airport Tuesday for attempting to smuggle more than three kilograms of heroin stuffed into fabric buttons to Turkey.
“During an individual baggage search of passengers, customs authorities detained Milagros Nolasko, 48, who was attempting to smuggle some 3,300 grams of heroin on a flight from Dushanbe to Istanbul,” a customs agent told RIA Novosti.
The agent said that the woman had stuffed the drugs into 758 fabric buttons stitched onto 33 Tajik national robes. An investigation is ongoing.
Last year, some 20 kg of heroin was seized on flights from Dushanbe to Istanbul, leading to the arrest of five smugglers from South Africa, Uganda, the Philippines and Turkey.
Tajikistan is a major smuggling route for heroin from neighbouring Afghanistan, the world’s largest heroin producer.
- $2 mn drug haul seized in Moscow region - Aug 24, 2012
- Clinton's visit a big event for Tajikistan - Oct 23, 2011
- 17 Tajik security officers killed - Jul 28, 2012
- Six killed as inmates escape Tajik prison - Aug 23, 2010
- Man jailed for trafficking heroin in Russia - Aug 28, 2012
- Man dies after eating heroin-filled cigarettes - May 15, 2012
- Woman gives birth on flight to Moscow - Oct 14, 2011
- 47 tonnes of hashish seized in Turkey in 2011 - Mar 15, 2012
- Uzbek woman held with 2,000 tortoises - Apr 05, 2012
- French troops to stay in Afghanistan after 2014 - Jan 01, 2012
- Drug traffickers held carrying heroin in stomach - Dec 27, 2011
- Russia threatens Tajikistan with import sanctions - Nov 21, 2011
- CIS leaders call for free trade deal, peaceful end to conflicts - Sep 03, 2011
- Chinese woman held for smuggling deer genitals - Aug 13, 2012
- 27 killed in Tajik helicopter crash - Oct 07, 2010
Tags: customs agent, customs authorities, customs officials, drugs, dushanbe airport, fabric, filipino woman, flights, heroin, istanbul, kg, kilograms, march 17, neighbouring afghanistan, philippines, ria novosti, robes, smugglers, south africa, tajik