Winter carnival begins in snow-covered Gulmarg (Lead)February 3rd, 2009 - 7:30 pm ICT by IANS
Gulmarg (Jammu and Kashmir), Feb 3 (IANS) Fresh morning snowfall provided an idyllic background for the two-day snow carnival that started in this tourist resort of Jammu and Kashmir Tuesday.More than 2,000 tourists, including around 200 foreigners, are in the resort to enjoy the beauty and witness the various sporting events being held during the festival.
“We have many events like ice skating, ice hockey, snow rugby, snow cycling, snow bike racing and martial arts on the schedule during the two-day festival,” said Shabir Ahmad, an official of the tourism department.
“The aim is to attract more and more participants for winter sports and also the tourists for whom Gulmarg has always been a dream winter destination,” Ahmad said.
“With more than two feet deep snow already on the ground, the morning snowfall has given a magic touch to our vacation here”, said Sunil Kumar, 45, who had come here with his family for the winter carnival.
Many cultural programmes are being held as sidelights to entertain the visitors.
Jammu and Kashmir Tourism Minister Nawang Rigzin Jora declared the festival open.
He said Gulmarg was already in the focus of winter sports lovers and more facilities and infrastructure would be provided in the future to attract both tourists and sport lovers.
The participants for the two-day events are local sports persons.
“The snow carnival is something we have been looking forward to for many days. I am sure the festival would be a grand success,” another tourism official said.
- Plethora of winter sports at Kashmir snow carnival - Feb 03, 2009
- Rock climbing wall inaugurated in Srinagar - Sep 05, 2012
- Snow cycling, a new favorite sport in Kashmir - Feb 23, 2011
- The white hills of Gulmarg rock back to glory (With Image) - Jan 03, 2012
- J-K govt. organizes snow football game to boost tourism - Apr 16, 2011
- Gulmarg rated Asia's seventh best ski resort - Nov 26, 2010
- 'Record tourist arrival in Kashmir is peace dividend' - Mar 26, 2012
- Annual Amarnath yatra begins (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- Kashmir sees record tourists, hundreds more for New Year - Dec 31, 2010
- Jammu and Kashmir to promote adventure tourism - May 28, 2011
- Record tourist arrival is peace dividend : Kashmir minister - Mar 27, 2012
- Snow Festival in Gulmarg attracts tourists in large numbers - Feb 05, 2009
- Motor rally to boost adventure tourism - Jun 25, 2010
- Preparations begin for Amarnath pilgrimage - Mar 21, 2012
- Governor reviews Amarnath pilgrimage facilities - Jul 17, 2012
Tags: bike racing, deep snow, grand success, jammu and kashmir, jammu and kashmir tourism, jora, kashmir, magic touch, morning snowfall, shabir ahmad, sidelights, snow bike, sport lovers, tourism department, tourism minister, tourism official, tourist resort, winter carnival, winter destination, winter sports