Winston Churchill loved hearty breakfast with whisky and cigarMarch 31st, 2009 - 11:55 am ICT by ANI
London, Mar 31 (ANI): Former British Prime Minister Winston Churchill loved a “hearty breakfast” with some whisky and a cigar, it has emerged.
While aboard the BOAC flight in June 1954, Churchill did not find the plane’s menu to be good enough, and thus wrote one out himself.
His hearty meal included poached egg, toast, jam, butter, coffee and milk, a jug of cold milk, cold chicken, and meat.
He also had grapefruit, sugar bowl, a glass orange squash (ice), with some whisky soda to wash down, along with a cigar.
The menu was kept by the air steward, and has been put for sale along with press cuttings from the trip.
It is expected to fetch 1,500 pounds.
“This is one of the most remarkable pieces of Churchill memorabilia we have seen,” the Telegraph quoted Richard Westwood-Brookes, the seller, as saying.
“It shows what a hearty breakfast he ate and it was all washed down with a whisky, after which he smoked a cigar.
“It is the type of indulgence we’ve come to associate with Churchill and it reassuring to know he ate so well in his 80th year.”
“There are some smudges and ink stains but it is a wonderful piece of history,” he added. (ANI)
- Cuban makes statues using tobacco leaves - Feb 06, 2012
- Fury over Winston Churchill's cigar being airbrushed from 1948 photograph - Jun 15, 2010
- Winston Churchill's last ever cigar to go under the hammer - Nov 18, 2010
- Churchill's last cigar to be auctioned - Nov 18, 2010
- Winston Churchill's cigar airbrushed from picture - Jun 16, 2010
- An egg a day keeps unwanted calories at bay - Dec 11, 2011
- Churchill's secret war diaries and cigars to be auctioned - May 07, 2010
- Stalin's death mask sold for 3,600 pounds - Jan 25, 2012
- Churchill cigar stump sold for more than $7,000 - Jan 31, 2010
- Brand willing to shave his head to play Churchill - Apr 22, 2011
- Winston Churchill's false teeth up for grabs - Jul 15, 2010
- Winston Churchill joins Facebook, Twitter from beyond the grave - Sep 18, 2010
- Sketches of Hitler's artist who erased name from files post war up for grabs - Apr 04, 2011
- A big breakfast 'won't help you shed those pounds' - Jan 17, 2011
- Big breakafast beacons weight loss? Nay, says study - Jan 17, 2011
Tags: air steward, british prime minister, cigar, cold chicken, cold milk, grapefruit, hearty breakfast, hearty meal, indulgence, ink stains, jug, orange squash, press cuttings, remarkable pieces, smudges, sugar bowl, toast, westwood, whisky soda, winston churchill