Wimbledon qualifiers: Prakash advances; Somdev crashes outJune 15th, 2009 - 11:37 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 15 (IANS) India’s Prakash Amritraj advanced to the second round of the Wimbledon qualifiers while Somdev Devvarman crashed out at the All England Club here Monday.
Prakash, seeded 28, looked sharp as he beat Croat Antonio Veic 6-3, 6-4 to set up a second round meeting with Briton Daniel Cox, who beat Conor Niland of Ireland 6-3, 1-6, 8-6.
Prakash’s father, former tennis star Vijay Amritraj, was pleased with his son’s performance.
“It was good for him to win a first round match in the way he did,” Vijay said. “He is playing at a career best ranking of 155th and is very keen to do well. He was a quarter-finalist at Nottingham last week so has had some matches to build on.
“He is playing good tennis, he has made some adjustments to his game. The surface here is good because it gives you the chance to get in and attack. And on a day like this, the ball goes througn the air quicker.”
Somdev, seeded 14th, lost 3-6, 2-6 to Jean-Rene Lisnard of Monaco. Somdev is parterning South African Kevin Anderson in the doubles qualifier and will open against eight-seeded Ukranians Sergei Bubka and Sergiy Stakhovsky.
Prakash, with Pakistan’s Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi, is seeded seventh and the duo will take on Australian Chris Guccione and German Frank Moser.
- Prakash advances in singles, doubles in Wimbledon qualifiers (Lead) - Jun 17, 2009
- Somdev loses, Prakash advances in Binghamton challenger - Aug 12, 2009
- Prakash in Wimbledon qualifiers' final round - Jun 17, 2009
- Prakash Amritraj enters Nottingham Challenger quarters - Jun 05, 2009
- French Open: Somdev overpowers Vanek in qualifiers - May 18, 2010
- Somdev out, Bopanna in second round of ATP challenger - Jun 04, 2009
- Chennai Open: Indians bow out in qualifying rounds - Jan 02, 2011
- Somdev, Prakash in Wimbledon qualifiers second round - Jun 14, 2010
- Prakash wins in doubles but Somdev loses - Aug 13, 2009
- Somdev, Prakash advance in Australian Open qualifiers - Jan 13, 2010
- Wimbledon: Paes-Bhupathi, Somdev and Sania advance in doubles - Jun 25, 2011
- Wimbledon: Prakash advances, Somdev falters (Lead) - Jun 16, 2010
- Easy win for Murugesan in ITF Futures tennis - Nov 07, 2011
- Australian Open: Somdev in third round of qualifiers - Jan 15, 2010
- Prakash-Ram in Turkey challenger doubles final - May 16, 2009
Tags: 155th, aisam ul haq, aisam ul haq qureshi, briton, chris guccione, croat, daniel cox, england club, frank moser, jean rene lisnard, kevin anderson, niland, prakash amritraj, quarter finalist, s prakash, sergei bubka, tennis star, vijay amritraj, wimbledon, wimbledon qualifiers