Wills-Kat wedding cake designs revealedMarch 27th, 2011 - 12:01 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar 27 (ANI): It has emerged that Prince William and Kate Middleton have chosen a traditional multi-layered fruit cake with a floral design for their wedding next month, along with a second one made from rich tea biscuits.
Fiona Cairns, a businesswoman who has gone from kitchen table baking to selling her creations to the country’s best-known stores, has been commissioned by the couple to create the official wedding cake, reports the Telegraph.
Middleton has given detailed plans for the cake, which will be the centrepiece of the Buckingham Palace wedding reception.
The cake will be decorated with William and Middleton’s new cipher - thought to feature the couple’s entwined initials - which will be officially released on their wedding day.
Another theme will be the four flowers of the home nations - English rose, Scottish thistle, Welsh daffodil and Irish shamrock.
The Prince, however, has also requested his childhood favourite treat - a McVities chocolate biscuit cake.
Cairns, 56, was contacted by William’s office in February and asked if she would make the couple’s wedding cake.
“It’s multi-tiered, doesn’t have colour - it’s cream and white (icing) - and it’s a traditional cake but also quite delicate and modern, all the tiers will have a different theme,” she said.
The commission has been a process of discovery for Cairns who has also been asked by Middleton to feature around 16 different blooms and foliage for their meaning - known as the ‘language of flowers’.
She also wanted elements from the Joseph Lambeth technique of cake decoration, where intricate piping is used to make three-dimensional scrollwork, leaves, flowers and other adornments.
The cake designer, who lives in Leicestershire, said Middleton made her feel relaxed when they met around six weeks ago at Clarence House to discuss ideas.
“She has guided us right from the beginning and has quite strong ideas. That makes it much easier than a bride who has absolutely no idea whatsoever, which has happened in the past,” said Cairns.
“But she knew very much what she wanted and she brought us mood boards and told us what influences she would like us to use on the cake,” she added.
The official cake is believed to include a range of produce from dried fruits like raisins and sultanas to walnuts, cherries, grated oranges and lemon, French brandy and free range eggs and flour. (ANI)
- Kat-Will's wedding cake designs revealed - Mar 27, 2011
- Icing on the cake - the India connect at royal wedding - Apr 29, 2011
- Kat-Will's wedding cake choice creates stir in fashionable baking quarters - Mar 28, 2011
- William's wedding to have chocolate biscuit cake - Mar 27, 2011
- Kim Kardashian wants a royal wedding - Aug 05, 2011
- A toast, a cake and celebrations for Will-Kat in Delhi - Apr 30, 2011
- Pippa to write book on being party hostess - Oct 30, 2011
- Pippa Middleton's post royal wedding party plans scare palace aides - Apr 28, 2011
- Kate Middleton shops for groceries - May 06, 2011
- Wills-Kat TV movie given raunchy makeover - Apr 10, 2011
- Kate Middleton Flashes Her Engagement Ring, Parents Congratulate Them - Nov 17, 2010
- 20-foot trees to adorn aisle for Will-Kate wedding - Apr 27, 2011
- Wills- Kat declared husband and wife - Apr 29, 2011
- Millions to celebrate 'People's Royal Wedding' on April 29! - Nov 24, 2010
- It's official! Prince William will marry Kate Middleton in 2011 - Nov 16, 2010
Tags: buckingham palace, cake decoration, cake designer, chocolate biscuit cake, clarence house, irish shamrock, kate middleton, language of flowers, mcvities, prince william, prince william and kate, prince william and kate middleton, rich tea, scottish thistle, tea biscuits, traditional cake, wedding cake designs, welsh daffodil, white icing, william and kate